open carry concern and question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so from what I am reading everywhere and the guys I talk to, EVERYONE is split on open carry. I understand both sides of the argument so lets not go there. I personally am a CCW license holder and have been for 3 years now. I enjoy my right to carry and do so everyday.

As far as open carry, I like the idea of being able to. However the one thing I cant get over after reading threw all the new rules is why in the hell didn't they right in that to open carry you MUST use a retention style holster. Be it a Blackhawk or a simple leather with a snap, it would been well accepted I think?

I plan to open carry but only with a retention style holster with belt loops not a clip. What does the OSA population think?

Maverick7340

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They tried to add that amendment but it was struck down. People complained that it would limit the choice of holsters they could use. I already have a blackhawk and an OWB with thumb break.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While a retention holster of some kind is a good idea for OC, I don't think it should be a requirement under the law. I envision situations where a cop's idea of an up-to-code retention device and a CCL-holder's vision of that same holster might differ and cause needless legal and financial problems for said citizen. It should be up to the individual to make the decision on what type of holster he or she wants to use - not left for the long and intrusive arms of the government to interpret.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While a retention holster of some kind is a good idea for OC, I don't think it should be a requirement under the law. I envision situations where a cop's idea of an up-to-code retention device and a CCL-holder's vision of that same holster might differ and cause needless legal and financial problems for said citizen. It should be up to the individual to make the decision on what type of holster he or she wants to use - not left for the long and intrusive arms of the government to interpret.

Well said.

specialop24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed. I use a retention serpa to ccw my 1911, but I do it cause I'm used, to and like, this holster, not cause someone else thinks I should. Its your weapon and your life... protect it as you see fit. Thank you and here is your soapbox back...:-)

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One reason why Serpa holsters and ones with thumb break straps wasn't included in the law is say for instance, you are carrying concealed IWB... which in most all cases is without a thumb strap or a Serpa level 2 device... and your weapon is exposed by the wind or in some other way. You would then be in violation of the open carry law because your holster didn't have the required retention devices.

Another reason is that many modern holsters have adjustable tension screws that apply pressure to the trigger guard. Oft times these are almost as good as a Serpa holster and better than a holster with a snapped retention strap... because it requires a straight out of the holster quick jerk draw to clear the holster... whereas a tug from a angle by someone trying to steal the weapon oft times allows the holster to hang onto the weapon better than a easy to unsnap strap would.

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt I use a retention if I ever do OC. Reason being practice and habits. For many years, I have simply carried in a good leather holster with no retention and that is what I have practiced with so that it just comes naturally. If I were to switch to a retention for only when I OC and I were ever in a real situation, adrenaline would probably cause me to forget I am now using a retention and I may stumble with drawing and using the weapon. I would think that would be more likely to get me in trouble than worrying about someone taking it from me.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok so from what I am reading everywhere and the guys I talk to, EVERYONE is split on open carry. I understand both sides of the argument so lets not go there. I personally am a CCW license holder and have been for 3 years now. I enjoy my right to carry and do so everyday.

As far as open carry, I like the idea of being able to. However the one thing I cant get over after reading threw all the new rules is why in the hell didn't they right in that to open carry you MUST use a retention style holster. Be it a Blackhawk or a simple leather with a snap, it would been well accepted I think?

I plan to open carry but only with a retention style holster with belt loops not a clip. What does the OSA population think?
Some of us who carry concealed like the peace of mind that comes with knowing that if by accident our sidearm becomes accidentally exposed that we will not be in any danger of being charged with a crime. If open carry required a retention holster then most of us with concealed carry holsters would still be in violation of the Law if by chance our weapon becomes visible.
This would negate one of the reasons many concealed carriers supported the open carry Law.

Michael

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom