open carry concern and question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so from what I am reading everywhere and the guys I talk to, EVERYONE is split on open carry. I understand both sides of the argument so lets not go there. I personally am a CCW license holder and have been for 3 years now. I enjoy my right to carry and do so everyday.

As far as open carry, I like the idea of being able to. However the one thing I cant get over after reading threw all the new rules is why in the hell didn't they right in that to open carry you MUST use a retention style holster. Be it a Blackhawk or a simple leather with a snap, it would been well accepted I think?

I plan to open carry but only with a retention style holster with belt loops not a clip. What does the OSA population think?
While retention holsters are a great idea for OC, why would anyone want it written into law? Do we not trust our fellow citizens to have common sense?
Think about it: we are for letting our fellow citizens carry a firearm, and drive a large vehicle at high speeds but we think they are not capable of selecting the right holster to carry appropriately?
:)

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great points guys. I had not thought of some of the side affects of things. Like the wind blowing your shirt back to reveal a concealed gun.

I think that it's true that most of us will make good choices while OC but there will always be that one guy that screws the pooch. Here is hoping it don't mess it up for everyone.

hammerdown51

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I just missed it or something. I had a conversation with a guy yesterday and he indicated that current CWL holders will have to get an "endorsement" and attend additional training to be able to OC. I don't see that anywhere in the new law. Is he correct or will current and future holder's be able to just OC? Anyone else know or have heard this?

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you like that the Government has imposed laws that you must wear a seat belt in a car or would you rather be left to make that decision yourself?

I agree we should get rid of seat belt and helmet laws. The world is too overpopulated already and we ought as well clear out the idiots first.

C

Clay

I agree we should get rid of seat belt and helmet laws. The world is too overpopulated already and we ought as well clear out the idiots first.
You seem quick to label someone an idiot because they are allowed to make a simple personal choice. I know seat belts save lives but I dont want the law stopping me to see if I have it on.
I grew up riding in the back of dads truck a lot, with no restraint...I lived.
But then again I drank from the water hose often too.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I doubt I use a retention if I ever do OC. Reason being practice and habits. For many years, I have simply carried in a good leather holster with no retention and that is what I have practiced with so that it just comes naturally. If I were to switch to a retention for only when I OC and I were ever in a real situation, adrenaline would probably cause me to forget I am now using a retention and I may stumble with drawing and using the weapon. I would think that would be more likely to get me in trouble than worrying about someone taking it from me.

This was the exact reason one of the legislators mentioned. He said with the quality of holsters, mainly leather, that a retention device is not necessary because most hosters are designed specifically for a particular gun.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The current crop of open top holsters never addressed the risk any CC'ers getting bump frisked and subsequently disarmed in a struggle.

I will keep on using the Galcos, etc I've always used. Some retention has always been a good idea and I don't need politicians picking holsters or caliber for me

Latest posts

Top Bottom