Open Carry Poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you view Open Carry?

• Fully support OC and do/will employ routinely

Votes: 39 27.7%
  • Fully support OC but do not/will not often employ

Votes: 87 61.7%
  • Only support OC to prevent "accidental uncovering" violations

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Do not support OC but do support CC

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Support gun ownership but do not support either OC or CC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't support gun ownership

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tips, Start like you would getting into the water, slowely. Carry first at your house regularly, then go to the gas station and carry there. Eventually move up to carryuing in Lowes or some store. After you do that a few dozen times it becomes real normal feeling.

FWIW, CHenry outlined EXACTLY my approach when I was a "new" permit carrier....Now, it's like that old American Express commercial.... "I don't leave HOME without it!" And I must admit I have accidentally "forgotten" my IWB CC when I've gone into a couple of places where it might be a shade "forbidden"... :)

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And I must admit I have accidentally "forgotten" my IWB CC when I've gone into a couple of places where it might be a shade "forbidden"... :)
I have bellied up to a bar twice with it on because I forget its there. Once it was open and no one saw it amazingly and it wasnt until I walked to the rest room that I saw it in the mirror...oops. The other time it was concealed under a T shirt.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have bellied up to a bar twice with it on because I forget its there. Once it was open and no one saw it amazingly and it wasnt until I walked to the rest room that I saw it in the mirror...oops. The other time it was concealed under a T shirt.

I can see how that might happen. But it is probably worth consciously fighting against because, honestly, that's a pretty important something to simply forget about. Think of it as the equivalent of making sure you follow a rigorous routine when preparing to clean weapons - no matter how sure you are it is unloaded, you should still follow the same weapon clearing routine otherwise you (or someone you love) will end up a statistic eventually.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see how that might happen. But it is probably worth consciously fighting against because, honestly, that's a pretty important something to simply forget about. Think of it as the equivalent of making sure you follow a rigorous routine when preparing to clean weapons - no matter how sure you are it is unloaded, you should still follow the same weapon clearing routine otherwise you (or someone you love) will end up a statistic eventually.
Oh I know! I have almost walked into work with it on as well, and I work in a Government building! lol

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These were both restaurants and not bars but I sometimes sit at the bar to eat because usually there is seating there when all the tables are full. I dont go to bars as a rule, dont like the smoke.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At DQ recently ... OWB wearing a T-Shirt under an unbuttoned outer shirt. Guess it showed.

Little 'ol lady in the booth across the aisle to her husband (pointing) "Is that a gun?"
He glanced over "Not a gun."
She "I think it's a gun."
He "Not a gun."
She (to my wife) "Is he a detective?"
Wife: "No, he's not a detective."
She "A policeman?"
Me: "No ma'am, I'm not a policeman or a detective. Just a good guy with a gun."
She (to her husband) "Told you it was a gun."
And that was the end of it.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have OC'd only a few times, really just to see what reactions would be. I support the right to carry, and have no problem with anyone exercising their right. I've only seen a few OC, and they were pretty equally divided between nice looking rigs, and the goofballs that do tend to give us a bad image. The posts have been interesting. Keep it going.

Latest posts

Top Bottom