Open Carry Poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you view Open Carry?

• Fully support OC and do/will employ routinely

Votes: 39 27.7%
  • Fully support OC but do not/will not often employ

Votes: 87 61.7%
  • Only support OC to prevent "accidental uncovering" violations

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Do not support OC but do support CC

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Support gun ownership but do not support either OC or CC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't support gun ownership

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I generally dont OC but I make no effort to truly hide the fact I have one. Not worried abut the gun bulge or if it peeks out from under my shirt. Just getting gas or anywhere near my house, which is rural, I open carry. I may more now though.

RedHawk357Mag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I pretty much carry. Not overly concerned with concealed vs open carry but make some effort to buy shirts with a bit more hanging length. Although just recently spent the week in Okc and didn't carry. Strange I know for a guy who carries religiously at home. But with so many people all over the place I just could not in good conscious carry my 357 Magnum with stout 158 grn jacketed hollow points. Almost impossible to fart in Okc without getting Stern looks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those who claim "You will be the first one shot", I tend to disagree.
While it may happen if you run into that 1 in a thousand crazed killer type of robber, but most robbers just want to be robbers, not murderers.
Most robbers will case a target before committing a robbery. They don't want to rush in guns drawn just to find out that the local police department is having its weekly pizza party in the restaurant they want to rob.
What they want is a soft target. A place with very few people, and no obvious resistance. If they see someone who is armed, they will (in most cases) leave and look for an easier target with less risk.

Personal experience: A few years ago, I was open carrying in California. Yes, it is legal to open carry a loaded handgun in certain areas of CA.
I walked over to my local pizza place, about 300 yards from my house, after dark, to get a pizza just before the place closed for the night. I walked in, and it was just me and the pizza guy. I ordered my pizza and sat to wait for it. A moment later two "wannabe gangbanger" types walked in, and immediately went to the far corner of the place and sat down (out of view of the pizza window). Now, this place was not a place where you get waited on at the table. You go to the window, order your stuff and take it back to your table. So, they caught my attention. The pizza guy however, being in the back making my pizza didn't even know they were there. After about 5 minutes, they still hadn't gone to the window, so I went to the window to talk with the pizza guy. They clearly saw my gun, and about 30 seconds later they walked quickly out of the pizza place.

A convenience store down the block was robbed about 15 minutes later by two guys matching the description of the guys in the pizza place.

Open Carry can and does act as a visible deterrent to criminal activity. The more guns people see on law abiding citizens (criminals usually hide their guns), the more ill at ease the criminals are, and the less likely it is that they will commit crimes in the presence of an armed citizen.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those who claim "You will be the first one shot", I tend to disagree.
While it may happen if you run into that 1 in a thousand crazed killer type of robber, but most robbers just want to be robbers, not murderers.
Most robbers will case a target before committing a robbery. They don't want to rush in guns drawn just to find out that the local police department is having its weekly pizza party in the restaurant they want to rob.
What they want is a soft target. A place with very few people, and no obvious resistance. If they see someone who is armed, they will (in most cases) leave and look for an easier target with less risk.

Personal experience: A few years ago, I was open carrying in California. Yes, it is legal to open carry a loaded handgun in certain areas of CA.
I walked over to my local pizza place, about 300 yards from my house, after dark, to get a pizza just before the place closed for the night. I walked in, and it was just me and the pizza guy. I ordered my pizza and sat to wait for it. A moment later two "wannabe gangbanger" types walked in, and immediately went to the far corner of the place and sat down (out of view of the pizza window). Now, this place was not a place where you get waited on at the table. You go to the window, order your stuff and take it back to your table. So, they caught my attention. The pizza guy however, being in the back making my pizza didn't even know they were there. After about 5 minutes, they still hadn't gone to the window, so I went to the window to talk with the pizza guy. They clearly saw my gun, and about 30 seconds later they walked quickly out of the pizza place.

A convenience store down the block was robbed about 15 minutes later by two guys matching the description of the guys in the pizza place.

Open Carry can and does act as a visible deterrent to criminal activity. The more guns people see on law abiding citizens (criminals usually hide their guns), the more ill at ease the criminals are, and the less likely it is that they will commit crimes in the presence of an armed citizen.

Good point. I think each has its benefits. I'm 50-50 on it. I do unless I dont. The key is situational awareness regardless of how or if you carry.
He was very aware of the situation and utilized his available tools (open carried gun) to detour an armed robbery of the pizza joint. Win win.

Latest posts

Top Bottom