Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Open Carry be permissible under the law?

• Total voters

Nanotech9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thats just it though... YOU don't see any reason to open carry, but I MAY see a reason.

kinda like someone might not see the need for you two own an AR15, but YOU might see the reason to own one.

Just because we limit ourselves to what we can see and understand, doesn't mean we should limit others to our same shortfallings. I include myself in this as well of course.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm one of the 16 that voted no. I just don't see any reason for open carry other than to appease people who think it violates their 2A to tell them to keep it covered up. I'm all in favor of the CCW but just don't see anything positive that would come from a bunch of people wearing exposed guns.

well aside from the appeasement of those who BELIEVE in the second amendment, i would prefer to have the choice because i can not conceal my favorite pistol. i am far more proficient with my full size springfield xd but yet i can not conceal it unless i have a jacket on so i am forced to carry a weapon that i am not as confident or comfortable with. now that has put ME at a tactical disadvantage. not only that but weapon presentation is much faster for most from a belt holster rather than an IWB holster. so that puts you at a tactical advantage. i would have to say that if i can not carry open then maybe LEOs should have to conceal theirs too. plus i would like to go out an not have to dress around it ALL the time. i would like to wear a t shirt that actually FITS me than having to wear a size larger to cover up my weapon. it really is ridiculous that i am trusted to carry a firearm when no one can see it but we cant let the sheeple see it cause it might cause them to freak out.

Mike-S

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well aside from the appeasement of those who BELIEVE in the second amendment, i would prefer to have the choice because i can not conceal my favorite pistol. i am far more proficient with my full size springfield xd but yet i can not conceal it unless i have a jacket on so i am forced to carry a weapon that i am not as confident or comfortable with. now that has put ME at a tactical disadvantage. not only that but weapon presentation is much faster for most from a belt holster rather than an IWB holster. so that puts you at a tactical advantage. i would have to say that if i can not carry open then maybe LEOs should have to conceal theirs too. plus i would like to go out an not have to dress around it ALL the time. i would like to wear a t shirt that actually FITS me than having to wear a size larger to cover up my weapon. it really is ridiculous that i am trusted to carry a firearm when no one can see it but we cant let the sheeple see it cause it might cause them to freak out.

Hopefully that is not a shot at my belief in the 2A, if so you obviously don't know what you're talking about. My intent in my post was to state my opinion, not start an argument. You are not forced to carry a weapon but I applaud you for doing so, as long as it's concealed.

The mere suggestion that police officers carry their firearm concealed on duty is ridiculous. I too don't like having to wear my shirt untucked all of the time or dress around my gun. You know what I do? I deal with it, there's nothing that I can do to change it other than become a sheep. I don't have a choice about whether or not I carry a gun off-duty but I would even if not required to. I also, would love to go out to dinner with my wife wearing a nice pressed shirt that's tucked in for a change but I can't. If that's the way the law says it must be done then that's the way it will be done.

Again, this is my opinion, obviously yours differs. I respect your opinion.

Mike-S

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, when you said -

you meant - just don't see anything positive that would come from a bunch of peons wearing exposed guns.:tounge::wink2:

:nono1:No, not really. If that's what I thought I would have just said that. You are now comparing the relationship between a citizen's open carry and a LEO's open carry, while on-duty, seeking out bad guys, who commontimes have weapons, and like to use them..:confused:

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and the count against goes to 19??:anyone:

this post will be full of jumbled up ideas.

not one person has yet to tell me a GOOD reason as to why you should not be able to open carry with a license? other than "i wouldnt" or "its not tactically smart" or "i dont see what the benefit of a bunch of people carrying guns in the open would accomplish". if someone would just tell me that they are scared of me carrying in the open then i could agree to disagree with that statement. but if it is just cause you wouldnt then why tell me that i cant? or make a vote that says that i cant...and i am not talking about the little forum vote but a real vote. i get the feeling that some here would actually vote against this if it came to an actual vote of the people. i dont understand. why help the antis?

when i said i think that LEOs should have to carry concealed that was a facetious remark... just to clear that up. i understand that it is part of your uniform and a part of your job and i have utmost respect for those that do that job...hopefully i will be with you one day soon joining in the good fight.

because you wouldnt doesnt mean that you should tell others that they cant. the 2nd amendment doesnt say "right to keep and conceal arms".

that is like outlawing cheese burgers because they make people fat. and because you wouldnt eat one because you are health conscious then you are going to tell me that i can not eat one? or because you wont smoke they should outlaw it and tell me i can not(i dont by the way). by the reasoning you use then everything that you wouldnt do should be outlawed because you wouldnt do it.

because some wouldnt practice Buddhism it should be outlawed? because some dont believe in Christianity it should be outlawed? because some dont like foreign cars they should be outlawed? because some dont like new inline muzzle loaders they should be outlawed? sounds ridiculous doesnt it?

i will not carry openly now because it IS against the law. i do follow the laws. HOWEVER in a democratic government we are supposed to have a say in the matter of the laws..at least to some extent. so if enough people out there were to talk to their reps and sign the petition then we MAY be able to get the government to listen. even if you dont want to carry that way why basically take a step back and limit the 2nd amendment? there are enough people out there that are against carry period so why give them help? they dont need it there are enough of those antis out there. and to be honest it seems to me that the stance against open carry is a stance of the antis.

Hopefully that is not a shot at my belief in the 2A, if so you obviously don't know what you're talking about. My intent in my post was to state my opinion, not start an argument. You are not forced to carry a weapon but I applaud you for doing so, as long as it's concealed.

The mere suggestion that police officers carry their firearm concealed on duty is ridiculous. I too don't like having to wear my shirt untucked all of the time or dress around my gun. You know what I do? I deal with it, there's nothing that I can do to change it other than become a sheep. I don't have a choice about whether or not I carry a gun off-duty but I would even if not required to. I also, would love to go out to dinner with my wife wearing a nice pressed shirt that's tucked in for a change but I can't. If that's the way the law says it must be done then that's the way it will be done.

Again, this is my opinion, obviously yours differs. I respect your opinion.

i must say that i do RESPECTFULLY and for the sake of discussion question your stance on the second amendment. i am not attacking but asking how you can be pro second amendment and yet against the right to carry how one pleases?
as i eluded to earlier in this post i understand that the law reads that way now but why not try to change it for the better rather than just saying "well thats just how it is and thats the way is got to be". we could change this if there were enough people who would get behind this. you yourself say that you would like to be able to go out with your wife dressed nice but yet you arent able to. why not try to change that?
and for now i too deal with the situation accordingly but i wish it would change. i would like to have the option.

and when you say that you dont see anything good that would come from it i have to disagree. i think it could and more than likely would cause crime to drop. a scumbag would think twice about robbing a convenience store if the clerk was toting a 45 on his/her hip. if nothing else the person who chooses to be proactive and carry a weapon rather than become a victim would be safer from these types of things. it would just let that scum bag go to the next place to commit the crime and not ever put the person who is carrying life in danger. sounds harsh but if one decides to become a victim and not be proactive then that is their problem.

i anxiously await your reply...and again i DO NOT mean this to be anything more than a discussion on the subject. not an attack by any means. i just want to try to understand your opinion. thanks.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I probably would not open carry, but I believe 100% that it should be an option. I believe that it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment. The fact that it is illegal is unconstitutional. I guess I'm an extremist, but I don't think you should need a permit for any kind of gun carrying or owning. Having to pay for a CHL is no different than a poll tax. They are charging you to exercise your rights. Same with with $200 tax for NFA stuff. It takes the ATF way too damn long to pass go for them to collect 200 dollars. Charging citizens to exercise their rights doesn't sit well with me. How about a permit required to petition the government or go to the church of your choice. It's hogwash.

Latest posts

Top Bottom