Optic on handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev1Doggy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a FNX 45 Tactical with a Romeo1 on it and I must say its interesting. I zeroed it at 25 yds and was hitting the bullseye. I am 69 yrs old. I dont know if I would carry like that though...

Kev1Doggy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are going down another rabbit hole with the optics thing because there are so many different footprints of the different brands. My Fn came with a Vortex Viper on it and immediately realized you have to remove it to change batterys and loosen lock screws, poor design on it, same footprint as the Burris optic which I Didn't care for. A guy on fn fb site said the Romeo1 would mount with out plates so i got one from Sig and mounted it. it adjusts and change batterys without removal.
Than if you want to mount Trijicon or Holosun you have to get an adapter plate to mount them.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
S&W M&P 40 caliber with a built into the grip Crimson Trace laser. If I don't need it, I don't activate it. Activation just requires a tighter squeeze on the grip and the laser comes on. Seamless, (for me.)

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's just another trend. Gun owners fall for them all the time and there will be a new pistol trend in 5 years.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not set in my ways, but I qualify for the old part. My eyesight has gone downhill since I hit 40 (now 61). If I use my glasses I can see my sights but not the target, if I don't use my glasses I can see the target but not my sights so the green-red dot sights fix my problem. If it was a case where it was a defensive type situation it would be more of a point-and-shoot situation. Sights are not really required.
I'm in the same situation with my eyesight. That is why I decided to give pistol red dots a try.
Not if you suffer from Astigmatism bad. I can use them in a rifle with a magnifier behind them. Otherwise a starburst.
I have astigmatism but I just put the starburst on the target. I use prism scopes on my rifles and it whole different world for me. If only someone made a prism red dot for pistols that wasn't gigantic and was affordable.

rustyaa55

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am OLD. Learned to never say never. People said glass on rifles was just a fad. Then variable power scopes could only be toys. Ditto the 357 mag, then 44 mag, the 10mm, etc. Red dots are a RAPIDLY developing technology. Bought a used TANFOGLIO 38 SUPER with a Romeo installed. It is SHOCKING what that enables me to do. A friend mounted the new HOLOSUN SCS on a Glock (carry gun). That is an amazing Red dot. Solar powered. So low that you can cowitness with standard height sights. He is a shooter and loves it. AND the technology hasn't finished advancements. Nobody HAS to benefit from what others utilize and enjoy. Stay safe and have a blast.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting accustomed to them. And yes, I use a dot on my carry pistol. The older I get, the more useful that dot is becoming. I'm getting reasonably fast with it (by my standards). It took a while, but I'm getting there.

One drawback is that dot sticks out a bit and makes concealing more difficult. If you carry at 4:00, it will poke out from your side, but a 3:00 carry position helps.

That and I have to make sure my holsters are cut for the dot. Not a biggie.