OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good morning from a temporarily "reassigned" Okie in Texas. We are back on the job with our road surveys. Yesterday was spent doing weekly required certification runs near Wichita Falls and then driving on to Greenville, TX.

Today, we get back to doing the surveying. I was mightily bored to death sitting around for the quarantine period and am very grateful for still being healthy and getting to get out and around.

One of my "planned" stops here in Greenville is a small museum related to Hunt County, Texas, the cotton industry, and Audie Murphy. Apparently, he was born or lived a ways north of Greenville. A fellow on another firearms forum posted pictures once, and that piqued my interest. Hopefully, I can get by there and get photos.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe Audie Murphy was from Kingston, TX. Every once in a while, I change up my route north and take Hwy 69 up through Greenville on the way to hit I35 at Gainesville, and if I remember right, there’s sign denoting his birthplace.
The 69 route isn’t bad, but you have slow downs and/or stop signs in every little hole in the wall town. Most of the time, I take Hwy 271 up though Pittsburg, Mt Pleasant, and Paris, and then, hit the Indian Nation.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe Audie Murphy was from Kingston, TX. Every once in a while, I change up my route north and take Hwy 69 up through Greenville on the way to hit I35 at Gainesville, and if I remember right, there’s sign denoting his birthplace.
The 69 route isn’t bad, but you have slow downs and/or stop signs in every little hole in the wall town. Most of the time, I take Hwy 271 up though Pittsburg, Mt Pleasant, and Paris, and then, hit the Indian Nation.

I lived in Pittsburg for a short time in the mid '80's. Enjoyed living there!

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to go to the RC field on Bob Sandlin. I lived there in '87 to '88.

I met Bo Pilgrim. He seemed to be just a regular guy --- even drove an old pickup like Sam Walton did.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Used to go to the RC field on Bob Sandlin. I lived there in '87 to '88.

I met Bo Pilgrim. He seemed to be just a regular guy --- even drove an old pickup like Sam Walton did.
I officed down the hall from Bo, and he would come through every morning and shake hands and ask how everyone was doing. I also attended the same church as him. He was a genuinely good man. I’m still friends with his oldest son. He’s a super good guy too, and if you met him, you would have no idea he had as much money as he does.

On a related note, I was helping a friend on a construction job in Fayetteville AR a couple years ago on John Tyson’s golf course/country club, and early one morning this hobo looking guy came in and started talking to us and asking questions about the job. After he left, my buddy asked the manager who that guy was, and it turned out to be John Tyson. He was super nice and very unpretentious.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seeing the Tyson Credit Union every time I drove through Springdale, AR, I wondered if they offered a "Chicken Checking Account".....
Pilgrim has a bank too. I can tell you that I appreciated doing business (as a contractor) with Tyson much more than Pilgrims. Pilgrims sucks at paying their bills.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good morning, All. Seeing as the wife and I were off work for a while with fighting Covid, we've decided that we need to work some Sundays to kind of make up time-wise. So, we will be out there today, and it actually may be beneficial to work downtown Greenville on a Sunday when it isn't so busy with people. They had some kind of event going on downtown yesterday, so we didn't even try to start on that part of town. One whole street was blocked off for the event, and other streets intersecting with that street were also unavailable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom