OSA Chit Chat Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whoa, Man. Are you having surgery, or are you tapering off for "the other reason.?"
Primarily for the "gut" issues, but I will also be having shoulder surgery probably before summer, and, like your doc, mine would like for me to significantly reduce the coffee consumption.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Primarily for the "gut" issues, but I will also be having shoulder surgery probably before summer, and, like your doc, mine would like for me to significantly reduce the coffee consumption.
If I have to reduce coffee consumption, I’m probably going to end up in divorce court, because I’m going to be hard to live with.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Well, good luck on both issues. As of yesterday morning, I've not had any coffee. When we got up yesterday and knowing that they would be doing blood work at my 10:30 appointment, I elected to not drink any coffee as well as not eat any breakfast. So, with a little over a full 24 hours, I've not experienced any headaches, so maybe I have this taken care of. Time will tell.

J-pitch

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you, Sir. Between the coffee reduction and the apprehension about the surgery, it has been an interesting couple of months or so. At least I'm fortunate in that I only need partial replacements and not full replacements.

What has been interesting is that my doctor doesn't refer his replacement patients to physical therapy places. He gives us something like 10 different exercises to do twice a day prior to the surgery, and those will continue after the surgery. We go in tomorrow for some pretesting for the surgery and to attend a "replacement" class. I'll likely learn more in that class. At any rate, the doctor told us that he has seen where his exercises has helped more than PT.
Physical therapy is expensive. I paid more for the physical therapy than I did for the knee replacement,

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Physical therapy is expensive. I paid more for the physical therapy than I did for the knee replacement,
My wife has had both her knees done (2 years apart), and we found that which physical therapist you use makes a huge difference in the recovery process. All her physical therapy was done through home health, and with the first one, she got an older lady that wouldn’t “push” her physically to improve. Her recovery ended up being painful and slow. The second time she got a middle age man that made the therapy fun, and my wife ended up pushing herself and thus getting range of motion and strength back faster.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has had both her knees done (2 years apart), and we found that which physical therapist you use makes a huge difference in the recovery process. All her physical therapy was done through home health, and with the first one, she got an older lady that wouldn’t “push” her physically to improve. Her recovery ended up being painful and slow. The second time she got a middle age man that made the therapy fun, and my wife ended up pushing herself and thus getting range of motion and strength back faster.

I hope to help with the "pushing." With both knees being done at the same time, I want to get back on my feet and being mobile as soon as possible. While doing the exercises, with most of them one does the exercise on each leg for 10 seconds and for 10 repetitions. Throughout most of the exercises I've done, I tend to count the "one-thousand, two-thousand" at a slower pace, thus making each 10 second period to be longer than 10. I also tend to do an extra repetition or two for each exercise. I'll be doing that for the recovery period as well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was having gut issues, even showing some blood in a test. The VA put me through a battery of tests to show it was in the lower intestine that was "irritated".
There was talk of some injection that I had to do myself, so looked up the drug they recommended which is all over the TV now.
Three times it said death may occur in different explanations of side effects. Nope, not for me.
Started eating Activia yogurt with probiotics every morning along with a banana and a small handful of tree nuts while still drinking a 20 oz mug of very strong coffee every morning.
All the effects of the irritated intestine went away. It wasn't overnight, took a few weeks to notice an improvement and 6 months later, zero issue. Had two tests during follow ups since then which was over a year ago and the DR released me. No diet change, no coffee change, nothing.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was having gut issues, even showing some blood in a test. The VA put me through a battery of tests to show it was in the lower intestine that was "irritated".
There was talk of some injection that I had to do myself, so looked up the drug they recommended which is all over the TV now.
Three times it said death may occur in different explanations of side effects. Nope, not for me.
Started eating Activia yogurt with probiotics every morning along with a banana and a small handful of tree nuts while still drinking a 20 oz mug of very strong coffee every morning.
All the effects of the irritated intestine went away. It wasn't overnight, took a few weeks to notice an improvement and 6 months later, zero issue. Had two tests during follow ups since then which was over a year ago and the DR released me. No diet change, no coffee change, nothing.

Dennis,

"Tree nuts" being what kind of nuts?

Latest posts

Top Bottom