OSBI and OK Narcotics on i40 east pulling people over.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is some truth here too.
True but if they find something without probable cause you may have a leg to stand on with a good lawyer. I have nothing to hide but I also dont want to give civilian police the idea they can do whatever they want. And like you said it is a big inconvenience.

I know this story is rare but I have heard of people buying used cars getting pulled over and it turns out there was old drugs or residue in the vehicle. To prove this they had to use an expensive lawyer. I dont want to go through that. I know that is a rare and unlikely example but I am sure someone smarter than I could think of a more likely situation that could occur.

At the end of the day I like my privacy and not being treated like a criminal.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only "search" request you can actually 'refuse' doesn't count. OHP asks if they can look around the vehicle on a lot of stops. I am 99% certain it is just to see if the driver gets nervous upon hearing that. You can say you have to get going and they don't seem to care.

Suburb jerk cops or the drug cops? LOL. Might as well say yes.
Please Explain. What can you not refuse? I have always refused if they have asked. It is rare when they do but I have had a couple of occasions where it has happened. I ask why, they usually dont have an answer and then I say I dont consent and they move a long with the rest of the process. One time a guy asked " Are you sure" like that would change something or like he was doing me a favor and I said " Yes quite sure" and suppressed a laugh.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was being pulled over one time in CA and was told that my decision to drive a little further and not immediately pulling over was probable cause enough(i was trying to hide something...). It was dark and there was a drop off, so I drove another couple hundred yards to a flatter safer surface to stop on. Those two fishermen went home empty handed as well.

When I got pulled over on I-40 E, I was so tired I didn't care and just wanted to get on my way(30 hours in a uhaul vehicle with another 4 hours left). I told him exactly what was in the back, he opened it up peaked around and opened a box or two, but then let me go my way(I was moving back to OK).

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please Explain. What can you not refuse? I have always refused if they have asked. It is rare when they do but I have had a couple of occasions where it has happened. I ask why, they usually dont have an answer and then I say I dont consent and they move a long with the rest of the process. One time a guy asked " Are you sure" like that would change something or like he was doing me a favor and I said " Yes quite sure" and suppressed a laugh.

Who's asked? Highway patrol?

Probable cause isn't tough to come up with is what I mean.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who's asked? Highway patrol?

Probable cause isn't tough to come up with is what I mean.
Yes once by Highway patrol and once by OCPD. When can you not refuse to tell them. Give an example Id like to know when it is no longer an option. I will always cooperate and if they search my car without my consent ill lawyer up afterwards just would like to know how they get around it.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes once by Highway patrol and once by OCPD. When can you not refuse to tell them. Give an example Id like to know when it is no longer an option. I will always cooperate and if they search my car without my consent ill lawyer up afterwards just would like to know how they get around it.

You can always refuse consent. They can search without your consent if they have probable cause to believe there are illegal drugs in the vehicle.

I smell the odor of marijuana.

Hi meet my malanois.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always wondered if OBN repacks the vehicle for them.

My experience has been no.

Canadian County is often out there with them on I-40, too.

One of their favorite questions to ask early on during the stop is if you are carrying large amounts of cash. That tells you a lot about their motives.

When you do refuse to consent to a search (and you always should), they'll call for the K-9. Make sure the time is noted when they called for the K-9 because they cannot extend the stop beyond what would normally be necessary without the K-9 call just to wait on the K-9. Of course, they'll probably say "I smell the odor of marijuana" (though their are plenty of studies that can be used against them). When the K-9 arrives, it will probably hit on something due to the Clever Hans effect regardless of whether there are (or have ever been) any drugs present.

By the way, check your cell signal through that area when they are there and compare it to when they aren't. Maybe it's just a coincidence...

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been there done that. Im so used to it (being searched) living dual state and traveling for a living almost 3 decades. Having vehicles with OK and CA license plates hasnt helped. On I80 Wyoming and Nebraska HPs have each searched me in vehicles with OK or CA plates, MIssouri HP gets me about every other time on I35 but only if Ive decided to drive back to the midwest in one of my CA registered vehicles. CA plate on a black sports car w/dark tint traveling thru the midwest on one of the supposed 'drug smuggling pipelines' is like a beacon.

I know I dont have to consent, Ive seen all of the ACLU videos prolly a hundred times, but I always consent because Im not stupid. Im sure they want to get it over with as quick as I do. I know that cops nab a ton of criminals via traffic enforcement, its a great tool and Im all for it. But I dont drive with anything Im not supposed to, I have no warrants or even a record other than traffic complaints so I know I have nothing to worry about or be nervous about. I never carry large amounts of cash. No drugs. If I happen to have any regular prescriptions on me I always have backup documents. Usually theyre decent if youre decent. In my case with long hair and covered in tattoos I know my 'MO' gets me flagged for a search. Im at peace with it, its my own fault. Skin color you can change, what Ive done to myself has been deliberate. Lolll. So far I havent had any cops be pizzed off enough to not put my stuff back like it was. I/we go to CO once a month or more and we're in the process now closing on a place in Longmont so we will be there alot more pretty soon. My wife can drive us back and forth and never even get a glance from a cop or even see that many- we go up thru KS on the way there, back down thru NM and the panhandle on the way back sometimes and its the same for her both routes. If Im driving its about 50-50 if we're gonna get pulled over.

Last edited:

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been there done that. Im so used to it (being searched) living dual state and traveling for a living almost 3 decades. Having vehicles with OK and CA license plates hasnt helped. On I80 Wyoming and Nebraska HPs have each searched me in vehicles with OK or CA plates, MIssouri HP gets me about every other time on I35 but only if Ive decided to drive back to the midwest in one of my CA registered vehicles. CA plate on a black sports car w/dark tint traveling thru the midwest on one of the supposed 'drug smuggling pipelines' is like a beacon. I know I dont have to consent, Ive seen a bunch of the ACLU videos prolly a hundred times, but I always consent because Im not stupid. I dont drive with anything Im not supposed to so I know I have nothing to worry about. I dont carry large amounts of cash to be seized. No drugs. If I happen to have prescriptions on me I always have backup documents. Theyre decent if youre decent. In my case with long hair and tattoos I know quite well its my 'MO' that gets me flagged for a search. Im at peace with it, its my own fault. Skin color you can change, what Ive done to myself has been deliberate. Lolll. So far I havent had any cops be pizzed off enough to not put my stuff back like it was. I/we go to CO once a month or more and we're in the process now closing on a place in Longmont so we will be there alot more pretty soon. My wife can drive us back and forth and never even get a glance from a cop or even see that many- we go up thru KS on the way there, back down thru NM and the panhandle on the way back sometimes and its the same for her both routes. If Im driving its about 50-50 if we're gonna get pulled over.
Yes but it shouldnt be that way. That isnt the spirit of the law. Also you may not be doing anything wrong or carry large amounts of cash but they can seize your vehicle. I have heard those stories as well. An OK police chief had his seized before he was a cop and is speaking against forfeiture in the state.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they can seize your vehicle.

For?

I have legal representation on the ready for just about anything. And money. They can bring it on and prove it if they have anything on me. Its a sad state of affairs but its people who cant afford to fight for their rights that get ****ed over. I dont cause trouble thus I dont worry about trouble.

Latest posts

Top Bottom