OSBI said to mail my CCW back.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Maximus-

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sent an email to OSBI concerning my wife and I moving to Colorado. Here is what I got back:

If you and your wife are moving out-of-state you must provide our office
with a notarized statement stating both your full names, full social
security number, previous address (on file) and your current address.
Also, you must then surrender both your Carry Concealed Licenses to our
office located at: (you can either mail it in or bring it in person)

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigations
6600 N Harvey PL
Oklahoma City, OK 73116

Failure to surrender both your Carry Concealed Licenses within 30 days
will result in revocation of your licenses.

If you decide to move back to the State of Oklahoma and you would like
to have a Carry Concealed License then you would have to re-apply. The
only thing you will not need to do is take the Safety Course again. If
you have any further questions please contact our office at
1-800-207-6724.

Thank you.

We put them in the mail today. Colorado allows Oklahoma CCL and gives us 90 days with our OK CCL to legally CC, to bad I have to send it back within 30. I have been CCing everyday since we moved but day 30 is next week.

It can take up to 90 days to get our CCLs here in CO...but we can open carry until then I guess. I'm not a big fan of open carry but I have been on the trails in my vehicle (had a guy in the foothills taking hikers hostage with a rifle weekend of the 4th; also plenty of big wildlife here).

Do any states let you keep the CCL?

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do any states let you keep the CCL?

Several states have non-resident permits. When I moved to Oklahoma from Virginia, I converted my resident permit to a non-resident and carried in Oklahoma on that until it expired and I got my Oklahoma permit. I also kept a copy of an email from OSBI stating that they recognized my non-resident VA permit just in case.

Oklahoma does not have a non-resident permit.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
guess you could just wait till you get your colorado, then send in your ok ccw.

You are advising him to commit a crime.

CO does not recognize the OK license unless you are a bona fide resident of OK.
By OK law, your OK license is invalid when you cease being an OK resident, and you MUST surrender it, on penalty of law.

Ask the Oklahoman who moved to Kansas and continued to carry on his invalid OK license, and was arrested on a traffic stop for illegal carry.

CO is one of the states that does not recognize ANY non-res license, even if valid (like FL & UT) and will NOT sell you a CO non-resident license.
Catch 22, and you can't legally carry concealed in CO while waiting for their license.

-Maximus-

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are advising him to commit a crime.

CO does not recognize the OK license unless you are a bona fide resident of OK.
By OK law, your OK license is invalid when you cease being an OK resident, and you MUST surrender it, on penalty of law.

Ask the Oklahoman who moved to Kansas and continued to carry on his invalid OK license, and was arrested on a traffic stop for illegal carry.

CO is one of the states that does not recognize ANY non-res license, even if valid (like FL & UT) and will NOT sell you a CO non-resident license.
Catch 22, and you can't legally carry concealed in CO while waiting for their license.

Correct, BUT CO does allow 90 days to CC with your CCL from the state you moved from..if it is allowed to begin with as OK is (as I stated above). My problem then came from Oklahoma only allowing me 30 days to send back my CCL. I was not able to take advantage due to my CO drivers license taking 3 weeks to get to me..they mail them to you instead of making it there and giving it to you before you leave. You cannot apply for a CO CCL without the CO drivers license.

-Maximus-

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will have to wait a bit to apply, making offers on a couple houses and money has to be gathered for "close to mountain" housing prices. Open carrying my XDm is not my favorite idea but it will be done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom