OSBI urges SDA Applicants to apply

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdgabbard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like the OSBI feels bad for some of the guys that took the class, but never got the time/money to send in their applications. Now my understanding of this law is that it only affects new applicants. Anyone hear whether or not this also applies to current SDA License holders?

http://www.newson6.com/story/26022301/osbi-law-change-could-affect-gun-license-applicants

OKLAHOMA CITY -

A change in law that goes into effect on November 1 could affect those who are applying for their gun license this year, according to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation.

If you want to get your gun license and have completed the Oklahoma Self Defense Act Gun Safety Training Course, the OSBI encourages you to start the application process with the agency as soon as possible.

According to the OSBI, House Bill 2874, which goes into effect on November 1, modifies the Self-Defense Act so that SDA certificates are valid for three years from the date of training and demonstration of competency and qualification.

Previously, SDA training certificates did not expire.

Anyone who completed their training prior to November 1, 2011, who has not submitted an application, will need to re-take the training course and get a new certificate once the law goes into effect, according to the OSBI.

You can visit OSBI’s website to submit your online application. Applicants who complete their online applications on or before the date of expiration of their certificate will have their applications accepted by the OSBI. Individuals submitting expired training certificates will have their applications returned, according to the OSBI.

Currently, 199,731 Oklahomans have a license to carry a concealed or unconcealed firearm

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This only affects new applicants. This was how the law was written when it went into effect back in 95. At some point, they got rid of the 3 year expiration for the training certificate and are now reinstating it.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What a useless change. Of all the things we needed addressed with firearms legislation, this isn't one of 'em.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The change that caused this was new legislation that requires instructors to keep records for not less than 3 years. Since instructors will be able to toss records after 3 years, they decided to make certificates invalid after 3 years since they could not guarantee the ability to verify a certificate after that time frame.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think it's a cash cow, but it is an unnecessary administrative change that makes it just a little harder for some folks trying to get their licenses.

If it's too hard for instructors to keep class certs indefinitely, fine. Why does that have to be tied to certificate validity? How many times has OSBI actually contacted an instructor to validate a cert anyway?

It's ridiculous that the class I took in 2002 is good forever because I got my license but my wife, who sat next to me in the same class, has to take it again because she was always too busy to finish the process and now it's too "hard" to keep or validate her record.

It's a digital age...expiring pieces of paper with signatures are archaic. This legislation just shows that no matter how many steps forward we take, Oklahoma can still be a backward good 'ol boy state.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
There have been lots of changes to the SDA in the last few years... and part of the intent of the class is to make certain everyone is educated properly regarding the LAW, not just gun safety and pointing the weapon downrange.

I don't see that it's a bad thing for people who took their class several years back need to be updated on the new rules before being issued a permit. Once you have it, it is up to you to make certain you keep up with the law, but the agency issuing the permit wants to be sure you are familiar with the law as it is written within a reasonable timeframe of the issuance of permit.

Sure, it's an inconvenience, but it's a relatively minor one, I suppose.

Latest posts

Top Bottom