OSBI urges SDA Applicants to apply

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's only minor if it's free, and doesn't eat up a weekend.

Your right in its up to us to stay current. Personally I've taken the class twice this year ,if you count AZ ccw class. Having been licensed for a few years, Bob let me take OK free , thanks Bob, but that was certificate less. There would been a charge for a certification. It already costs near $200 . Plus the renewals are not exactly cheap. Thats to be legal, you still have the expense of tooling up.

for something that is your inherent right, it's expensive.
Anyway enough whipping a horse that doesn't take you further than when you started.

Stay safe
elance

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Please elaborate. How is this a cash cow for anyone?

Incrementalism, like rust, never sleeps. Give it time.

for something that is your inherent right, it's expensive.

It's only minor if it's free, and doesn't eat up a weekend.

This legislation just shows that no matter how many steps forward we take, Oklahoma can still be a backward good 'ol boy state.

I think that about sums it up right there.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody asked me if I wanted a shorter records retention period, and it won't make me any more money.

I don't know why anyone would take the class from me and wait 3 years to apply, but if you have, be aware that anyone who takes any of my classes can sit in again for free.
But you better get off your butt and resign from the Altus procrastinator's club, because my OK Carry instructor license runs out next April, and I am NOT going to renew. After that, I won't be able to sign an OK certificate for any reason.

I still get calls about the Utah training (those classes were only valid for ONE year) but since I let the Utah instructor certification expire, I can't help you with Utah now.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think it's a cash cow, but it is an unnecessary administrative change that makes it just a little harder for some folks trying to get their licenses.

If it's too hard for instructors to keep class certs indefinitely, fine. Why does that have to be tied to certificate validity? How many times has OSBI actually contacted an instructor to validate a cert anyway?

It's ridiculous that the class I took in 2002 is good forever because I got my license but my wife, who sat next to me in the same class, has to take it again because she was always too busy to finish the process and now it's too "hard" to keep or validate her record.

It's a digital age...expiring pieces of paper with signatures are archaic. This legislation just shows that no matter how many steps forward we take, Oklahoma can still be a backward good 'ol boy state.

If the instructors mailed in copies of the completed certificates the OSBI could scan them and save them.

I worked for a company that made data storage products for 22 years. It always baffled me that we had to keep paper copies of safety and quality documents. It wasn't until the last nine or ten years that we actually started using digital forms and storing them digitally.

The last eight years I worked there we were making archival data storage tapes for companies to store records with. Those tapes were more reliable than discs and hard drives for data storage.

All of those records could be kept in digital format for decades and not take up very much space. The record retention excuse for this law is bogus. If ISO certification and the IRS requires records be kept for years in corporations there is no reason the OSBI could not keep the SDA documents for at least seven years and twenty would be no big chore either.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a matter of fact these forms should be available in digital form. When I took my welders certification test the CWI took the pictures and scanned all of the forms and sent then in over his wireless card. He gave us copies too. We did have to mail a couple of them in that we had to sign in front of a notary.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the instructors mailed in copies of the completed certificates the OSBI could scan them and save them.

The present OK law requires the original training certificate to be sent in by the applicant. Then they are scanned and kept forever. OSBI does not accept certificates directly from instructors.
The endless whining by the 2% about what the instructors should do to compensate for their not being able to fill out the application and go to the fingerprint office is one of the reasons I am not renewing the instructor certification (the $200 I would pay for review of the same training documents I filed 5 years ago is another).

98% take the class, make the application and get their permits. The instructors have no control over what happens after they hand you the training certificate.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There have been lots of changes to the SDA in the last few years... and part of the intent of the class is to make certain everyone is educated properly regarding the LAW, not just gun safety and pointing the weapon downrange.

I don't see that it's a bad thing for people who took their class several years back need to be updated on the new rules before being issued a permit. Once you have it, it is up to you to make certain you keep up with the law, but the agency issuing the permit wants to be sure you are familiar with the law as it is written within a reasonable timeframe of the issuance of permit.

Sure, it's an inconvenience, but it's a relatively minor one, I suppose.
In total agreement. Well said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom