OYH Varmint hunt Dec 13th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Scott, noticed you said you were using a 17 on that dog, how often do you use it to hunt? Any certain places you use it more than others? I bought a little Savage 17 last year and absolutely love it. Good little gun to drill something in the earhole, it can drive nails. I find myself carrying it more than any gun while I am out and about, just curious as to your thoughts on it.

Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for being such a stand up guy and volunteering!

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Scott, noticed you said you were using a 17 on that dog, how often do you use it to hunt? Any certain places you use it more than others? I bought a little Savage 17 last year and absolutely love it. Good little gun to drill something in the earhole, it can drive nails. I find myself carrying it more than any gun while I am out and about, just curious as to your thoughts on it.

Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for being such a stand up guy and volunteering!

Thanks r00s7a! There are several 17's on the market. Not sure which one you have. There are a couple of rim fires, and a few center fire 17's. I've only used the 17 center fire that shoots a 25 grain bullet about 4200 fps. I've killed several coyotes with it and have all been bang flop kills with one little hole going in and no exit hole. I have yet to kill a cat with it but am hoping for the same results as on the coyotes. There's a new 17 rimfire that came out last year called the 17wsm that shoots a 20 grain bullet about 3000fps. I have zero experience with it but okie4570 has killed several coyotes with his.
I have used mostly a shotgun in the past when calling cats as my shots are usually close in heavy cover but I plan on trying this rifle out on one this year if possible. There is a world of difference in the rimfire and the center fire and I'm not sure which one you have or what you want to shoot with it. Hope this helps you Paul!!!!

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks r00s7a! There are several 17's on the market. Not sure which one you have. There are a couple of rim fires, and a few center fire 17's. I've only used the 17 center fire that shoots a 25 grain bullet about 4200 fps. I've killed several coyotes with it and have all been bang flop kills with one little hole going in and no exit hole. I have yet to kill a cat with it but am hoping for the same results as on the coyotes. There's a new 17 rimfire that came out last year called the 17wsm that shoots a 20 grain bullet about 3000fps. I have zero experience with it but okie4570 has killed several coyotes with his.
I have used mostly a shotgun in the past when calling cats as my shots are usually close in heavy cover but I plan on trying this rifle out on one this year if possible. There is a world of difference in the rimfire and the center fire and I'm not sure which one you have or what you want to shoot with it. Hope this helps you Paul!!!!

Ahhh, ok, that makes sense. I didn't catch the Remington part of it the first time I read and assumed HMR. Kind of wish I had held out for the WSM, but I love shooting the HMR. It has killed many a beaver, one bobcat, one coyote, and lots of beer cans. Thanks for the clarification!

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great job to all involved! And I agree, one of my buddies and I made several stands Saturday morning til lunch, on new-to-me property, and never even saw a coyote from a distance, weather just didn't cooperate for us!

BillMac

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just reading in the Rimfire forum about the Savage BMag in 17 WSM. I have been itching to get one but heard bad reviews on the toy-looking stocks. Maybe they have improved them by now. Anyway, I read in the Rimfire forum about Boyd's having better stocks which would work for me. I love the look of laminated thumbhole stocks anyway. While I was searching for the Boyds stocks, I ran across other YouTube videos for reviews of the 17WSM in Franklin F17L rifles on an AR platform. Now these are awesome looking toys! But at $2K a pop, it will stay a pipe dream. I'll put up for the .17WSM Savage B Mag after I get the Olympic Arms 5.56 out of layaway!!
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/10/foghorn/gun-review-franklin-armory-f17-l-17-wsm/

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I was just reading in the Rimfire forum about the Savage BMag in 17 WSM. I have been itching to get one but heard bad reviews on the toy-looking stocks. Maybe they have improved them by now. Anyway, I read in the Rimfire forum about Boyd's having better stocks which would work for me. I love the look of laminated thumbhole stocks anyway. While I was searching for the Boyds stocks, I ran across other YouTube videos for reviews of the 17WSM in Franklin F17L rifles on an AR platform. Now these are awesome looking toys! But at $2K a pop, it will stay a pipe dream. I'll put up for the .17WSM Savage B Mag after I get the Olympic Arms 5.56 out of layaway!!
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/10/foghorn/gun-review-franklin-armory-f17-l-17-wsm/

Accuracy in my Bmag is excellent, it's killed every coyote I've shot with it, and I like the stock, it weighs nothing. If it were only going on the bench, then I can see the Boyd stock, but I like the fact that it weighs nothing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom