OYH Varmint hunt Dec 13th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just wanted to thank everyone for buying tickets and helping support the OYHSP. I talked to the winner, Roy Spencer and he is planning to go on the hunt at this time. Gabriel42 if you will send me your address and phone number I do have a consolation prize for you.

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for the call. Looking forward to meeting up with you.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, this thread and alternate thing made me realize that the rifles and equipment I have are more suited to patrolling and kicking in doors in a 3rd world country than hunting.

I currently don't have a rifle that most would consider a typical varmint rifle. I am more of a suppressed, short-barrel rifle kind of guy. I do have some larger caliber rifles but I think the 2 that I would likely choose between a 12.5" Ar-15 in 5.56 with 1-4x24 scope and a 16" Ar-10 in 7.62 with a 1-6x24 scope. I don't have an issue swapping the 1-6x24 to the Ar-15 ahead of a hunt like this. What kind of ranges would I expect to see shots taken at? I am generally using standard 55gr/62gr or heavier (69gr or 77gr) BTHP ammo and have decent accuracy out of the Ar-15 but haven't pushed it much past 175yds. I have some 50gr varmint tipped ammo that was acquired as part of a deal but haven't run it out past 100yds, it has decent accuracy. The 7.62 is still in the break in and honeymoon period so not 100% sure what it likes. Aside from weapon, optic, and ammo choice, what other gear should I be considering bringing?

Here is some of the stuff I was considering bringing:
Rifle: ???
Optic: ???
Ammo: ???
Suppressor: AAC 762-SDN-6 for private land only
Binoculars: US Army M24 7x28
Range Finder: Vortex Ranger 1000
Lifetime Hunting and Fishing License
Small Pack
Knife/hatchet
Hydration source
Cold weather gear: Camo pattern needed? Have solid tans and greens but no camo other than Army-issued ACU pattern
Ear and eye pro
Snacks
Good boots
Waterproof bag for pelt?!?

While I do have my lifetime license, I haven't been hunting since my second deer hunt 8 years ago so my experience is limited.

Thanks for any info/advice you can provide

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with taking a shotgun that will shoot a dense pattern at 50y :) Not uncommon to have a coyote blaze in at mach 1 from nowhere and not want to stop long enough for a cross hair shot at close range either, despite the terrain being somewhat open.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for volunteering your time to make this happen! :D

Thanks Dennis but it really is a group effort with everyone from the landowner to people like you that bought tickets. We all appreciate everyone for helping out to make a few more kids hunt possible.

Even though Gabriel42 got the runner up ticket I'm going to meet up with him the day before the hunt and we are going to do a public land hunt out west. It should be fun!!

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i160.photobucket.com_albums_t185_okhunter_album_F25E2C13_A64F_4852_ADA3_6D088C9265AB_zpsbwejlm0w.png

i160.photobucket.com_albums_t185_okhunter_album_4575DC07_5D7E_4FCC_AA34_D850C9F66143_zps1glsqgz6.jpg

i160.photobucket.com_albums_t185_okhunter_album_F9E1CAD8_BCF1_48C1_98D0_8293EF574171_zps5s8czflc.png

Headed west Thursday morning from Tahlequah with the winner of the hunt (Roy Spencer) to hunt some public land before the actual hunt on Saturday. We got there in time Thursday to make a few stands Thursday evening. First stand we set up and called about 8 minutes and I see a coyote come out of a thicket off to the right of Roy about 70 yards. It's just standing there looking towards where the caller is sitting. After a few seconds Roy gets his gun on the coyote and puts the big male down in his tracks. It was a huge almost fat looking male that had really bad mange. We made a couple more stands before dark but didn't see anything.

Friday morning we head back out and ran into another coyote hunter first thing. We made a few blank stands until around 10:30 we had a coyote topped the crest of a small hill about 100 yards out and then disappeared. A few minutes go by and the coyote shows back up and then comes down the hill just far enough to get a shot. Roy puts it down with his .243 and we are off looking for number three. We made a few more stands and then decided to head towards the ranch we planned on hunting Saturday morning. We met up with george(deerslayer) at the lodge on Friday evening. Had dinner and went to bed.
Saturday morning we headed out early to start hunting in thick heavy fog. First stand George dropped us off at a large field. We walked in a couple hundred yards and set up in a cross wind in a wide open wheat field. Roy had told me to bring my gun so we could both cover the field. About 3:30 minutes into calling I see movement in the fog and sure enough it's a coyote coming fast. She locks up about 100 yards out and I'm already zeroed in on her with the 17 remington. 3:45 into calling and we put coyote number three down.

We ended up calling until about three that afternoon but never saw another coyote. The wind really had picked up Saturday and just made it a tough day for calling. All in all I had a blast! Got to meet some great people, hunt some ground I wouldn't usually get to hunt and saw lots of wildlife.
Want to thank everyone again for supporting the OYHSP. Thanks to George( deerslayer) for all that you did to help out. Thanks to Judy at little robe creek lodge for letting us stay at the lodge. And a big thanks to the landowners for letting us hunt. Hope to do this again next year!

Latest posts

Top Bottom