Pawnee Summer Run N Gun - July 18

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and i was standing there when that dude proposed, my wife started crying nearly as bad as the bride to be. Props to him though, that was pretty clever.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up 9th in the run and 15th overall. By far my biggest mistake was missing a turn and straying waaay off course... according to my GPS, i travelled a total of 7.44 miles from start line to finish line. Yeah, that was me. :o

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was about an hour late for the pork chops at Click's. They make a pretty decent bacon cheeseburger, though. The guys from Nebraska were kind enough to share the beers they brought in. Hat tip to those gents.

Congrats to everyone who showed up and stepped off of a starting line. Many thanks to Al & Daniel for having me back out to help, and to the McAlisters for their hospitality. JT & Greg cook a mean pig and if you missed out, well...you missed out.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks JT for the out****instanding BBQ on Saturday.

I am seriously disappointed in you jackwagons. You made me look like a tool. I guesstimated at what it would take to feed you heathens and you came in way under the mark.

It was a pleasure to serve you. I was glad to meet you guys. I am available to cook anytime. Don't ask me to run anywhere that ends with a K.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome weekend. Those 4 miles on the county road Friday afternoon didn't seem so awesome at the time... especially after 3 hours sleep the night before... but it was a good experience! I took a slower pace than usual... hardly any running. My body told me that keeping a steady fast walking pace in that heat and humidity was all I could handle, so that's what I stuck with. I was kind of out of shape. The last time I'd really ran was the Zombie Run 'n Gun in Davilla in April, and I weigh about 15 lbs. more than I should. In any case, it was good enough for the 71st percentile on the run. Hell, anybody who finished that course gets respect from me. It was truly brutal. Each spot of shade along that county road was like a drop of nectar from Olympus, and every time the breeze kicked up it was refreshing like a blast of Gold Bond spray to the taint. This was the first time I ran in a hat, and it was an excellent choice. I used a Barmah Cooler vented hat, which was great for keeping the sun off my head while letting air flow through, and the sweat band did a great job of keeping sweat out of my eyes. Best piece of kit I brought. Worse piece of kit were my shoes and socks. In my effort to beat the heat by going light, I used some light weight trail running shoes and regular socks, which did not work well at all on the combination loose yet rocky footing on the county road. My feet wound up pretty heavily blistered. I would have been a lot better off in my heavier padded hiking shoes with rock guard, and padded socks.

As far as shooting goes, I got the best time out of the 10K on Stage 1, Bonus 2, Stage 3, and Stage 4. Kind of sucked on Stage 5 though, and no dice on the head shot. I was effin' tired after that hill. I still haven't earned one of my own "one shot, one kill" patches, dammit. I missed it last year with my Garand too. The only equipment issue I had was that half way through the first stretch on the county road, my front sling swivel came loose. I determined the problem was the QD socket. I fixed it by tying my sling around the handguard and through the swivel. It held for the rest of the run, but made it awkward to sling up like I would have liked to for some of the shots, like on stages 2, 3 and 5. It doesn't give me a lot of confidence in Midwest Industries' QD sockets... I have only used this particular one for 3 Run 'n Guns. The BCM pencil middy and M&P 40/9 ran like champs as usual. The Aimpoint PRO earned it's keep as well.

Overall on the 10K I got 14th on running, 2nd on shooting, and 7th overall. I'm happy with it -- but if I'm ever going to get one of my own trophies I'm going to have to get faster! Good shooting only gets you so far in a competition like this.

I had a lot of fun running the event on Saturday too... I particularly enjoyed seeing everyone's reactions to the uphill barbed wire crawl, cargo net creek crossing, and supersized ammo cans. I'm really looking forward to putting on the next one in January. Hopefully I'll see a few of you in Pecos this September too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom