Pawnshop and Theft ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thank you all for the input.
No Insurance on three items, apparrently I need a rider policy ????? Now I know.
I'll know more tomorrow after visiting the pawn shop and the Police Station.
I do have to give the Police credit. I had threee uniforms and a couple CIDs in the apartment. They took 8 cards of prints and found 1 of the items in 4 days, so hopefully after the arrest and questioning the will find the other items.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW ....... I said this would happen in the OP and got flamed. So many agreeing now.
Buy it back. File the police report. HOPE you get some kind of restitution.
IF you had insurance (which you don't, but for others info) and you filed the claim. The insurance would take the gun (they paid you for it) and you would not get it back.
Contact your congressman and get the pawn law changed. In Texas, ANY stolen property found in pawn is confiscated and returned. Just part of the cost of doing business.
Oklahoma and; it seems, Ark too, pawn shop protection laws are BS and just support crime.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My experience in OKC has been completely different. I was notified by OCPD they had recovered an item reported stolen by us at a local pawn shop. The item was reported stolen almost 8 years prior. The PD gave me instructions on filing for recovery of the property. I had to attend a hearing to prove ownership. The pawnshop lost out, the person who pawned the item lost out, and our property was returned at no cost.

Just because a pawnshop loans money on or pays for a stolen item does not make them the "owner".

That's the way I understand it works. That's why False Declaration to a Pawnbroker is a felony. Because the pawn store loses the item and gets nothing for it. A friend of mine from high school ended up doing over 12 years in prison, almost all of it was for False Declaration to a Pawnbroker.
http://docapp065p.doc.state.ok.us/servlet/page?_pageid=394&_dad=portal30&_schema=PORTAL30&doc_num=224653&offender_book_id=116419
His lawyer told him that the False Declaration to a Pawnbroker is worse than the actual stealing of the property.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are three ways to get your pawned stolen items back in the State of Oklahoma.
1. The pawn shop gives it back to the rightfull owner and seeks restitution through the courts.
2. The law enforcement agency place a "hold" on the evidence and a judge decides who the property belongs to.
3. You pay the pawn broker for your item (usually what they have in it) and then you can possibly seek restitution through the courts.

The most common charge for someone pawning stolen property is False Decleration (felony no matter the value of the item).

If your insurance pays off the item, it is no longer your item, it now belongs to your insurance company (even if you settled for .01 and it was worth $1,000.00.

I would contact the pawn broker and see if they will work something out with you.

I really dislike thieves!!!!

YEA , I can see where this is going...TY

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW ....... I said this would happen in the OP and got flamed. So many agreeing now.
Buy it back. File the police report. HOPE you get some kind of restitution.
IF you had insurance (which you don't, but for others info) and you filed the claim. The insurance would take the gun (they paid you for it) and you would not get it back.
Contact your congressman and get the pawn law changed. In Texas, ANY stolen property found in pawn is confiscated and returned. Just part of the cost of doing business.
Oklahoma and; it seems, Ark too, pawn shop protection laws are BS and just support crime.

Sorry Bro , but do you believe in CHANGE too?
NO way Im buying stolen property, even if its stolen From me, and the "pawnthief" wont be selling it either.
Yes they are BS and support crime ,thats why Im not doin it.
They will get tired of me calling ,every hour ON the hour to see if my stuff is to be returned Now...... ;)

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hmmmmm....just a humerious thought... (joking around)

so they caught the theif right....soooooo go to the theifs house and borrow a few things from outside or inside, cause evidently he won't be home for awhile, hell maybe even feed his dog and give it some fresh water...who knows.... take those borrowed items to the pawn shop and cash them out and buy your stuff back. that way it looks like someone may have pawned off his stuff to help "bail him out". then he can deal with getting his own stuff back from the pawn shop.....

like i said, all in good humour :)

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry Bro , but do you believe in CHANGE too?
NO way Im buying stolen property, even if its stolen From me, and the "pawnthief" wont be selling it either.
Yes they are BS and support crime ,thats why Im not doin it.
They will get tired of me calling ,every hour ON the hour to see if my stuff is to be returned Now...... ;)

I wouldn't buy it back either. I would be on the Police and DA. I would be calling the pawn shop. I would contact the local news media. I would be contacting state congressman.

Change can happen. Don't think so? What about the last 5 yrs? What is coming? Speak up now or enjoy what comes.

In Texas, the pawn shops were some of my regular shopping stops. In Okla, don't, won't go, not going to be part of the problem and support legalized theft.
While living in Texas, we had a break-in. Thief was identified (a family 'friend?' who knew we would be gone that weekend), but could not be found by police. I filed police report. I found my property in pawn shop and called police and waited for them to arrive, identified property with original police report in hand. They confiscated item, photographed, and returned to me on the spot. Pawn shop supplied police with video of 'suspect' pawning items. A few days later, I spotted him going into a bar. Called police, waited for them to show up. Made sure he saw me as they 'cuffed and stuffed' him. Testified in court, even though his Mom asked me to let it slide. He served time and then had his wages garnished to pay me restitution. Justice served. The Detective on the case told me the Police weren't working the case more actively because they figured since he was a 'family friend', I wouldn't follow through with charges.

Last edited:

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard the same thing about pawn shops in Oklahoma. They lobbied to have it that way, so I heard.

In my oppinion, alot of stollen stuff goes that way to be pawned unbeknowst to the pawn shops and they would be out of some major payola if they had to turn over thier new property everytime it was found out to be stolen.

What I dont get is , being proven stolen, why they (said pawn shop) are not charged with possession of stolen property?

Or why the police didnt take it into thier possession?

Latest posts

Top Bottom