Pawnshop and Theft ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daughter had her iPad stolen. Called the police within 4 hours of being stolen. Got a call the next morning to come in and make a full report. Took the box in with the serial number on the box, for the report. Daughter gets told the iPad was sold to a pawn shop, by someone she knew. Go to the police and tell the detective. He says we gave him the wrong serial number, which he copied off the box.
Pawn shop sold the iPad within hours of buying it. We are told it is our fault because the serial number was wrong on the report.
We know who bought the iPad and where it is, but it is no longer ours, because the pawnshop sold it. All we could do is file charges against the girl and her boyfriend for stealing the iPad. When they get arrested we can hope the judge makes them pay us restitution for the iPad or sue the in small claims court.
The ***** part of it is, they sold it for gas money to move to Mississippi. We know exactly where they live and cannot have them arrested or anything.

Post the pawnshop name so we dont get caught there.
Thats BS dont stop calling ,put the pressure on them , they are just being lazy.

Last edited:

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the law in Oklahoma as well (been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the coffee mug). Look at it this way: what if you bought something through the classifieds in the paper, and it later turned out to be stolen? Should you, as an innocent buyer, be out both the item and your hard-earned money?

That is not the law here in OK, we had a stolen rifle turn up at a local pawn shop off of 89th street in OKC. OKCPD took posession of the rifle, we went to court as the pawn shop said we had no right to the rifle, we showed we were the owners, judge awarded us the gun, we picked it up from the police later that day and paid nothing. You are not required to pay money to get your stolen property back.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now, IIRC, when a pawn shop takes in computer equipment I thought I heard they run the serial numbers or whatnot and do checks to verify its not stolen. Why not the same procedure for guns?

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems I read somewhere of a citizen being involved with shooting an intruder (can't remember where this occurred) and that the law enforcement agency took his firearm as "evidence."

If all that is true, the "victim" of the robbery/burglary gets victimized either way.

This is true until the case is closed and all appeals are over if a crime was committed. For instance the lady in mwc that shot 2 (gang memebers) intruders one died one was injured and the third was unharmed. The two that lived where charged with murder during the commission of a felony (or something like that). So in short they keep the gun until everything is resolved which can take many years. That is why I have stated on here before don't shoot anybody with your favorite gun even if you are justified. You might not get it back for a while. Another instance I know of if you shoot someone and are cleared you get it back in a few weeks or so. not a lawyer but know people it has happened too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom