Personal Defense Round (.45 ACP)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Winchester Ranger for me, accurate, reliable and great expansion. 5" Springfield XD Tactical. When the dust settles on a debate like this it seems that no matter what bullet design you choose, the .45 is a great man stopper.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
nice shooting... what distances did you shoot deer at?
never thought about taking deer with a 1911
makes sense ... seldom have I taken shots over 100 yds
most have been under 50yds .. but that's with a .270 Weatherby

I have shot a number of deer with a 5 " 1911. Some of the rounds i have used are included in these posts. The two best wound channels and overall performance that i have witnessed, shooting live critters are..... The 230gr +P Winchester Ranger. and 230gr Hornady custom .45acp. Of these two, the Hornady is by far the most accurate and feed reliable in my 1911. Try these two rounds in your gun and see how they perform. I never had a deer get more than a few yards; that is when they are shot in the right place. Some terrible performance's i have seen are all in 185 gr or lighter JHP's.

Hope this helps.

jimktm520

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I reload and have found 185 and 230 grain Golden Saber bullets available for the reloader. The shape is very close to the round nose FMJ style whlle offering (reported) good expansion characteristics as a self defense round. I am just starting to use this bullet but am encouraged by the fact that I will be able to duplicate the factory ballistics @ a reloaded cost. This will enable me to "tune" my gun (and skills) for a good factory load, much cheaper than blasting away with factory ammo.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any opinions on the better/best personal defense rounds. Gun I have is CZ97 45ACP. Has slightly less than 5" Barrel.

I've somewhat, based on what I've read, narrowed it down to:

1) Cor-bon +p 185G
2) Remingon Golden Sabre +P 185G
3) Double Tap TAC 160g with Barnes Copper Bullet,

Many things I've read throw in Speer Gold Dots, but if you look at ballistics tables, they don't equal the above. Also, don't know much about the Magsafe Fragmented Ammo, Other than they are really expensive.

Any opinions???

Flying ashtrays! Too fast and too light for .45 ACP IMO. To each his own I guess.

Personally I run with Hornady 230 gr XTP's sitting over 8.6 grs of HS-6 (hot load, not +P but way hotter than most factory loads) or the same bullet sitting over 8.3 grs of AA#5.

Latest posts

Top Bottom