Personal Defense Round (.45 ACP)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be careful of the toes you step on around here, they just may be attached to something you may have to kiss later!!!!

LOL! Self defense powers activate!

Gecko is that you?

In all seriousness though you will never rise to the occasion only sink the level of your training. Got no clue how I would react if I ever had to send lead down range but I have taken the time to get really good training.

I have shot a number of deer with a 5 " 1911. Some of the rounds i have used are included in these posts. The two best wound channels and overall performance that i have witnessed, shooting live critters are..... The 230gr +P Winchester Ranger. and 230gr Hornady custom .45acp. Of these two, the Hornady is by far the most accurate and feed reliable in my 1911. Try these two rounds in your gun and see how they perform. I never had a deer get more than a few yards; that is when they are shot in the right place. Some terrible performance's i have seen are all in 185 gr or lighter JHP's.

Hope this helps.

Ok eric the question with you is were they at self defense ranges or at 50+ yards:rotflmao:

I personally have gone back to the heavier HP rounds with a rounder ogive in the 1911 for feed reliability, the 185 grainers tend to be less accurate as well at least for me.

I wouldn't feel under gunned with ball ammo either, in the end it's shot placement that counts not the magic bullet, they don't work you have to keep shooting till you find the one that does.

keeter990

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot a number of deer with a 5 " 1911. Some of the rounds i have used are included in these posts. The two best wound channels and overall performance that i have witnessed, shooting live critters are..... The 230gr +P Winchester Ranger. and 230gr Hornady custom .45acp. Of these two, the Hornady is by far the most accurate and feed reliable in my 1911. Try these two rounds in your gun and see how they perform. I never had a deer get more than a few yards; that is when they are shot in the right place. Some terrible performance's i have seen are all in 185 gr or lighter JHP's.

Hope this helps.

Wow! I never really thought about hunting deer with a .45 acp handgun. Sounds liKe a blast! How far is a good range for taking deer with a 1911?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Hope this helps.

Hmmmm killed two deer with the 185gr+P Hp from Georgia arms. One dropped and the other went 50 yds.

Of course I've also killed a bunch with a .55 grain .223, and .22-250.
All about where it goes.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was a long and very informative post on here by a coroner from Atlanta on what he saw on his table. He said after what he observed that all he would use was Speer Gold Dot .45acp.

shootingbuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any opinions on the better/best personal defense rounds. G

Many things I've read throw in Speer Gold Dots, but if you look at ballistics tables, they don't equal the above. Also, don't know much about the Magsafe Fragmented Ammo, Other than they are really expensive.

Any opinions???

Yes, look at terminal performance not ballistics. There are many tests on the ATK site as well as home grown tests on youtube as well as other locations on the web.

Figure out what you want the bullet to do in/to the target and find one that does it more than from the different tests.

Best on your quest.

Magmystour

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In that situation maybe 5% of the conceal carry population would have the training and state of mind to even consider their surroundings for a split second. 95% of the people who carry handguns for conceal and carry including the people on this site, would freak out in that situation, pull their sidearm and start squeezing rounds off. Never knowing who was around.

People who make up statistics, FTL...

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always used regular 230 gr. Golden Sabers or Gold Dots, although I'm interested in trying some of the Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom