Personal Defense Round (.45 ACP)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeter990

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel it is wrong and dangerous to carry fmj in a caliber that you know is going to go straight through the bad guy and kill the child other victim that is in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not to mention the legal problems that could come up. You are not responsible for the bullets that miss an attacker in the high stress moment. However if you make the decision to use a round that you know will cause collateral damage... That is just irresponsable!

kelleysgunshop

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I feel it is wrong and dangerous to carry fmj in a caliber that you know is going to go straight through the bad guy and kill the child other victim that is in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not to mention the legal problems that could come up. You are not responsible for the bullets that miss an attacker in the high stress moment. However if you make the decision to use a round that you know will cause collateral damage... That is just irresponsable!

The child or other victim in "the wrong place at the wrong time" is on you. One needs to know the backstop behind the smelly bad guy.
You better know damn well what you're getting into when you pull that trigger. If you can't take that shot without collateral damage, well....should you have taken it?
For the record, I'm a fan of the 230 gr. Cor-bon. I always have a magazine full of FMJ's as well.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You saying I'm gonna take a shot when there's someone behind the bad guy.
Wrong my friend. Fail on your part.
It doesn't matter what you are shooting there is always a chance of over penetration.
You need to always know what's downrange, and I will not take a shot that may hit someone behind a BG.

keeter990

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You saying I'm gonna take a shot when there's someone behind the bad guy.
Wrong my friend. Fail on your part.
It doesn't matter what you are shooting there is always a chance of over penetration.
You need to always know what's downrange, and I will not take a shot that may hit someone behind a BG.

Are you saying that when there is a bad guy trying to take your life or the life of your family members that you would pull your gun and take the time to look behind the person who is pointing a gun at you or trying to stab you!? In that situation maybe 5% of the conceal carry population would have the training and state of mind to even consider their surroundings for a split second. 95% of the people who carry handguns for conceal and carry including the people on this site, would freak out in that situation, pull their sidearm and start squeezing rounds off. Never knowing who was around. To think anyone would could stay calm and collected in that situation is ignorant. There is no way to train for that type of pressure. Look up videos of police officers who have "addiquite" training as they empty their mags as they run away or fall backward hitting everything but the perp. Fail on your part.

That type of pressure is unimaginable and ucontrollable for almost everyone. Not to mention the problems that arise from the possiblity of taking anothers life.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I said there is always a chance of pass thru shots.
Me using fmj doesn't change that.
I will always consider what is down range.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Are you saying that when there is a bad guy trying to take your life or the life of your family members that you would pull your gun and take the time to look behind the person who is pointing a gun at you or trying to stab you!? In that situation maybe 5% of the conceal carry population would have the training and state of mind to even consider their surroundings for a split second. 95% of the people who carry handguns for conceal and carry including the people on this site, would freak out in that situation, pull their sidearm and start squeezing rounds off. Never knowing who was around. To think anyone would could stay calm and collected in that situation is ignorant. There is no way to train for that type of pressure. Look up videos of police officers who have "addiquite" training as they empty their mags as they run away or fall backward hitting everything but the perp. Fail on your part.

That type of pressure is unimaginable and ucontrollable for almost everyone. Not to mention the problems that arise from the possiblity of taking anothers life.

I'd be careful of the toes you step on around here, they just may be attached to something you may have to kiss later!!!!

ERIC FUSON

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot a number of deer with a 5 " 1911. Some of the rounds i have used are included in these posts. The two best wound channels and overall performance that i have witnessed, shooting live critters are..... The 230gr +P Winchester Ranger. and 230gr Hornady custom .45acp. Of these two, the Hornady is by far the most accurate and feed reliable in my 1911. Try these two rounds in your gun and see how they perform. I never had a deer get more than a few yards; that is when they are shot in the right place. Some terrible performance's i have seen are all in 185 gr or lighter JHP's.

Hope this helps.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Generally speaking I prefer one of the new SD rounds.
They have all been tested to perform quite well.
So it tends to fall to what cycles well in your handgun.
That in itself can get expensive in a hurry given the pricing of some of these ne SD rounds.
The good thing is that once you find one that cycles well you're in like Flint.

Latest posts

Top Bottom