Personal Defense Round (.45 ACP)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeter990

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I got my new .45 acp I did a few expansion test because I went from a 1911 with 5" barrel to a compact with just over 3" barrel. Obviously you don't have the same issue with loss of velocity that I do. Knowing I needed a smaller faster hp to help with expansion, I fired a few different rounds that were the most popular at that time ( this was a few years ago) into milk jugs full of water. After these tests I settled on magtechs guardian gold in 185 gr +p. It was the best performing one of the bunch. I'm planning on getting a tactical fullsize .45 soon. I will be doing a test with heavier +ps at that time and I will include magtechs in that test based on their past performance. I'd recommend them to you also.

keeter990

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but does winter clothing make that much of a difference with JHP's?

If so, I've got all the FMJ ammo I need for winter....

The problem with hollowpoints in the winter is not penatration. The problem is that when it's cold people wear large coats. When a hollowpoint passes through many layers of fabric the cavity fills up with said fabric. Since hollowpoints are designed to expand when they hit liquid as in blood and guts. If the cavity is full of fabric it can't fill up with liquid and won't expand. So it acts like a fmj. There is a new defense round out that has the hollowpoint filled with a polymer plug to keep this from happening. Can't remember the name right now.

GoldenBear

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with hollowpoints in the winter is not penatration. The problem is that when it's cold people wear large coats. When a hollowpoint passes through many layers of fabric the cavity fills up with said fabric. Since hollowpoints are designed to expand when they hit liquid as in blood and guts. If the cavity is full of fabric it can't fill up with liquid and won't expand. So it acts like a fmj. There is a new defense round out that has the hollowpoint filled with a polymer plug to keep this from happening. Can't remember the name right now.
Pow'RBall?

keeter990

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

That's the one I'm talking about. Critical defense. I'm thinking about switching my .45 over. Everything I have seen on them is amazing. It is a real hollowpoint unlike power balls. It is filled with poly to keep the cavity from filling and to insure expansion. They have been using the poly tip bullets in hunting rifles for years. Not sure why it took so long to come out with an effective handgun round with poly.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's been some considerable study/testing done on the fmj issue.
Google it and decide for yourself.
To make things clear I neglected to add I was talking about 45acp.
And like someone else said regardless of how it got there a 45 dia hole is probably gonna do the job.
I'm just hoping for two 45 dia holes.
One going in and one going out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom