Please read if you buy or sell firearms on OKshooters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess somebody couldn't bear to let this thread go one whole year with no love!

mugsy said:
Whatever the specified legal duty - it seems you would have a moral obligation to the best of your ability - to ensure you aren't selling in violation of law.
And like I said a few times already a year ago, you aren't selling in violation of law unless you KNOW the other person is from another state or is prohibited. If you want to ensure to the best of your ability that you aren't selling in violation of law, just think really hard, look inward, search your soul, and ask yourself "do I know this person is from another state?" If the answer is "no," then you have absolutely fulfilled your legal obligation.

BTW, I disagree about the moral obligation. There is nothing immoral about 2 people getting together for a mutually consensual transaction, just because they happen to reside in geographical areas that the government considers to be different tax jurisdictions. The government prohibits a whole hell of a lot of things that are completely moral and respectful of the rights of others. If you have a moral obligation to do anything, it is to resist encroachments on our liberty such as this.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it is not legal to sell any gun, whether a long gun or handgun, to someone who you KNOW is from out of state.

To touch on this, I was at walmart last monday and a complete stranger and I got into a conversation about ammo. He brought up the fact he'd like to find an AR in 7.72x39. He mentioned something about he was going to buy one from a guy in arkansas off armslist. I warned him that was illegal without going through a dealer, so I potentionally kept somebody out of trouble.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess somebody couldn't bear to let this thread go one whole year with no love!

And like I said a few times already a year ago, you aren't selling in violation of law unless you KNOW the other person is from another state or is prohibited. If you want to ensure to the best of your ability that you aren't selling in violation of law, just think really hard, look inward, search your soul, and ask yourself "do I know this person is from another state?" If the answer is "no," then you have absolutely fulfilled your legal obligation.

BTW, I disagree about the moral obligation. There is nothing immoral about 2 people getting together for a mutually consensual transaction, just because they happen to reside in geographical areas that the government considers to be different tax jurisdictions. The government prohibits a whole hell of a lot of things that are completely moral and respectful of the rights of others. If you have a moral obligation to do anything, it is to resist encroachments on our liberty such as this.

Hahaha....I didn't even check the date stamps of the previous posts - I fixated on the month and didn't notice the year.

I think you are being somewhat Pharisaic in your approach. The intent of the law clearly isn't to ensure that you don't "know" the buyer is from another state it is to prevent such sales. I don't argue what the specified duty is under the law. As to the moral question, every citizen has a moral duty to obey the positive law in so far as it doesn't violate the natural law. A conscientious citizen might wish to take a simple easy to follow action to ensure the intent of the law is not being undermined by his own actions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom