Please read if you buy or sell firearms on OKshooters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like GTG said, it's illegal to sell a gun to someone who is not a resident of Oklahoma without going through an FFL. With a DL I know that they are a resident. I was thinking that this only applies to handguns, does it apply to long guns as well?

Gotcha! Thanks. Should this be standard procedure? Is it my responsibility to make sure?

My brother lived in Amarillo for a couple of years without getting a Texas license until he got pulled over. He got a ticket for a excessive speed and not having a Texas DL. How do you know?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I said in the previous post, it is only illegal to KNOWINGLY sell to someone from out of state without going through an FFL. You have absolutely no affirmative duty to make sure what state they are from. Now if you have some specific reason to think that they are from another state, it would be legally prudent to ask them, just to make sure. But if you have no idea one way or the other, then it is perfectly legal to sell to them. And if they lie to you about where they are from, you cannot be held liable for that. You certainly have no duty to card them, or anything like that. That kind of thing, in a private sale, is going way above and beyond any legal duties.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now if you have some specific reason to think that they are from another state, it would be legally prudent to ask them, just to make sure.

For example, a Texas tag is enough for a reasonable man to have a good common sense reason to suspect they may be from out of state. (And if their Oklahoma DL is older than their Texas tag, remember that they are sending tax dollars that could benefit them and you to Texas for Texans to benefit from.)

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever the specified legal duty - it seems you would have a moral obligation to the best of your ability - to ensure you aren't selling in violation of law. No one is ever expected to do what they cannot do but it seems a DL check is really not a whole lot of effort even if technically "above and beyond" the legal specification.

fluxed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad the OP posted the links. In the end, we fleshed out "knowingly" vs "IT IS A CRIME TO SELL TO A FELON" Most of us knew this already, but some seemed to not have known.

Latest posts

Top Bottom