Please read if you buy or sell firearms on OKshooters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you jstevens for sharing that info. I also use NIC's, but that is not available to people without an FFL. I feel anything to help keep weapons out of the hands of people that should not possess them because of their background, is a step in the right direction, of us keeping our rights to own them, and help LE's with the stuff they have to go through everyday. Every time one of these people use a weapon in a crime, it is more ammo for the anti gun people to use in their fight to take rights away weapon owners.

arenathlete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just used your link to check a "known" name in OK and no records were produced; I ask a potential buyer, "Are you legal to own this firearm?" beyond that, f it

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I DO appreciate the OP's intent to be helpful with the links provided. But, from a LEO or prosecutor's perspective, I seriously wonder:

What constitutes Due Diligence on the part of the seller? How far need they go to ensure they are selling to a party who is able to legally obtain a firearm?

One may end up selling to someone who is an OK resident, who has a felony conviction on record outside of OK, meaning in a state that does not have online or otherwise on-demand court records. What needs to be done to CYA and ensure we are obliging with the laws prohibiting felons from purchasing our firearms?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow you guys are killing me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SKS was produced as a combat rifle, not a hunting rifle.

Just so we are all on the same page, A Smoothbore flintlock was developed as a combat rifle. Needing more accuracy, and more firepower, the percussion cap, muzzleloader with a rifled barrel was developed.
The bolt action rifle, commonly called a hunting rifle, was developed as a means for the military to further increase firepower.
I can't think of a single gun, past or present that didn't have its origins in the military.
The SKS is just a self loading rifle.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This post just went full retard. You never go full retard. Im 10-7 on this now.

I assume you mean the thread, not the post. :D

You have NCIC and an FFL has NICS. Expecting private owners to have a laptop and wi-fi when doing a FTF to check OSCN is expecting a little much. At some point, common sense has to come into the equation. :(

orangevale

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is against the law to sell a firearm to a felon.
You left out the operative adverb, knowingly. For the record here is the statute:

§21-1289.12. Giving firearms to convicted persons.

GIVING FIREARMS TO CONVICTED PERSONS

It shall be unlawful for any person within this state to knowingly sell, trade, give, transmit or otherwise cause the transfer of rifles, shotguns or pistols to any convicted felon or an adjudicated delinquent, and it shall be unlawful for any person within this state to knowingly sell, trade, give, transmit or otherwise cause the transfer of any shotgun, rifle or pistol to any individual who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs or is mentally or emotionally unbalanced or disturbed. All persons who engage in selling, trading or otherwise transferring firearms will display this section prominently in full view at or near the point of normal firearms sale, trade or transfer. Any person convicted of violating the provisions of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.15 of this title.

And while I was looking up the statute, here is the penalty for knowingly selling a firearm to a felon. I found no penalty for unknowingly selling a firearm to a felon.

§21-1289.15. Penalty for Firearms Act of 1971.

PENALTY FOR FIREARMS ACT OF 1971

Any person adjudged guilty of violating any provision of Section 1289.9, 1289.10, 1289.11, 1289.12 or 1289.13 of this title shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine of not less than Fifty Dollars ($50.00) nor more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), or imprisonment in the county jail for not less than ten (10) days nor more than six (6) months, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
[1] Added by Laws 1971, c. 159, § 15, emerg. eff. May 24, 1971. Amended by Laws 1995, c. 272, § 52, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Latest posts

Top Bottom