Plinking rifle opinions wanted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdubtulsa

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a .22lr rifle, and I'm wanting some feedback from all you shooters out there.

I'm considering two options at this point:
Ruger 10/22
Savage 64

I'm pretty sure most of you will say that the Ruger is better, but the Savage I can pick up from Academy for about $175 with a scope! I want to be able to carry a hicap mag for it, but no one makes a hi cap mag for the Savage. So here I am, stuck with an inexpensive option that is somewhat lacking in the ammo per mag area, but I'd have a neat scope...or, I can buy a more reputable rifle, for more money, but I could acquire a 50 round mag, and furnish a scope later.

So, what do you think?

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure most of you will say that the Ruger is better,

No way, it's not. Savage & Marlin are where it's at in value .22s; with CZs for just a bit more.

Remington 597 and Ruger 10/22, however, are about your only options very a super-high-cap mag. Both are ok; neither are fantastic.

I'd go with a turnbolt (and do) for a plinker. But if you want semi-auto, you cannot beat the Marlin 60 or the Savage you mention for value.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't beat a 10/22 for semi auto accuracy with all kinds of accessory options. It would be by only choice for a .22 semi auto. Bolt action .22s options are tougher to pick from. I haven't did much looking at bolt action .22s in awhile so I can't offer any suggestions.

zodiii

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just my two cents, as i've never shot the Savage, but I LOVE my 10/22.

I had a bit of a jamming issue at one point, but I just had to file down the feeder ramp a tiny bit as it had a burr on it.

bdubtulsa

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies all!

Allow me to add a couple of additional considerations....
1. I'd prefer semi-auto, without a doubt,
2. Must have a mag, not a tube underneath,

Anyone have any quality issues with the Savage? I'm new to the rifle game, so thanks in advance for the free advice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom