Plinking rifle opinions wanted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Either one would work, but in the long run I think you would be happier with the Ruger. There are lots and lot of mags, barrels, stocks, trigger kits, etc. available for the Ruger. Another thing to consider is that a scope that comes on a $175 rifle is not going to be all that good.

Bassin'ForLife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you might be surprised if you went to a couple of pawn shops and looked for an old bolt action .22. could probably swing a good deal on an old remington or winchester, which will be leaps and bounds more accurate than a 10/22

OkieBoogaloo

The Trees are Whisperin
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My plinker is a Nylon 66. you can pick them up cheap every now and then.... Those who know what they have sell em for $150-200 still, but if you hunt around you can probably get one for $75-$120.

I second the vote on going to a few pawn shops. You should be able to snag a good deal on a decent plinker there.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up with tube-feed Marlin Model 60's, and years later sold both of them within a few weeks of buying my first 10/22.

I've also had pretty good luck with the Walther G22s, though there aren't many around, mags are pricey and you're limited to 10rd mags.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had lots of 22's in my time, but for plain old plinking I've never had one I've enjoyed more than my current GSG-5 Carbine with red dot. You can buy 2 10/22s or 60s for the price of 1 GSG-5, but you can only shoot one of them at a time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom