Plinking rifle opinions wanted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't beat a 10/22 for semi auto accuracy with all kinds of accessory options. It would be by only choice for a .22 semi auto. Bolt action .22s options are tougher to pick from. I haven't did much looking at bolt action .22s in awhile so I can't offer any suggestions.

Well, I agree with the "accessory options" part.

However, I once had two .22 lr rifles. One was a Marlin 60, the other was a 10/22T (Target).

The Marlin was a tack driver right out of the box. It would easily shoot 10 rounds inside a quarter at 50 yards. I had a cheap Simmons scope on it. Never had a malfunction of any kind. Used to shoot (and hit) spent shotgun shells from 50 and 100 yards with it.

The Ruger, however, was a different animal. Trigger was horrible. And that's putting it lightly. If it wasn't a 10 pounder, I don't know what was. It was very difficult to shoot. I sent it back to Ruger, and six months later got it back. Trigger was better. But far from what you'd expect on a "target model" rifle. I had a Leupold Vari-X II scope on it, and that rifle still would not group, no matter what I did or what ammo I used.

Now I realize there are thousands of 10/22s out there with no problems. But I'll never own another.

I sold it to a kid that thought it looked cool.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coming from the owner of two Ruger 10/22s, who uses them as marksmanship training rifles, get a Remington 597 or a Marlin 795. Stay away from the Ruger, especially a brand new one. They have the absolute worst factory triggers imaginable... I would guess around 20# based on the last one I bought. They also now have a cheapo plastic trigger and housing instead of a metal one, plus a really annoying bolt hold-open feature. and they are over $200, whereas you can get a Remington 597 for around the $130 range or a Marlin 795 for right around a hundred bucks with factory rebates. Either one is more accurate than a 10/22 and has a much better trigger. So unless you like paying a higher price plus having to spend more time and/or money doing trigger work, stick with the Marlin or the Remington.

FYI, the Marlin 795 is a TINY little rifle. Not that it has too short of a stock or anything, but it weighs absolutely nothing and has a very narrow pistol grip and handguard. It feels like a toy or something. That may be a plus to you, it may not. The Remington 597 feels more like a real rifle... I think they use the same style stock that is on the Model 700.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies all!

Allow me to add a couple of additional considerations....
1. I'd prefer semi-auto, without a doubt,
2. Must have a mag, not a tube underneath,

That being said, 10/22 is THE choice. Period

Right. Except for the Marlin 795, the Remington 597, and the Savage 64, all of which meet the criteria and any of which I'd take over the Ruger. Period. :)

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/795SS.asp

Or if you want a really nice one, wait for the CZ 512 coming out later this year:

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-512/

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Right. Except for the Marlin 795, the Remington 597, and the Savage 64, all of which meet the criteria and any of which I'd take over the Ruger. Period. :)

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/795SS.asp

Or if you want a really nice one, wait for the CZ 512 coming out later this year:

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-512/

Do you have something against the Ruger? I have not studied the other models you have listed there, but the Ruger has a couple things going for it. It has far more aftermarket than any of the others listed, and a much longer history behind it. It's also very easy to completely dissasemble.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many folks are going backward on 10/22's in it's most recent iteration. It is a cheapy looking and feeling rifle. Yes, you can aftermarket it, but you can easily wind up with a rifle that costs twice as much as it's purchase price. If you want a 10/22, look for an older one or one that someone has already juiced up.

Reaction score
Do you have something against the Ruger? I have not studied the other models you have listed there, but the Ruger has a couple things going for it. It has far more aftermarket than any of the others listed, and a much longer history behind it. It's also very easy to completely dissasemble.

No not really, and yes, I agree. It's the ONLY one to get if it's accessorizing and / or high cap mags you want. It's just that the two criteria he emphasized were detachable box mag, and semi-auto, and one gentleman indicated that the Ruger is the only one in that category - it's not. He didn't emphasize accessorizing or high-cap mags. (Note: The Rem 597 also has high-cap mags).

But yes, I sort of have a *slight* thing against the Ruger 10/22 and its maker, even though I had one and liked it and it functioned quite well. One legit reason and one hangover reason that is not so legit.

Legit reason is just that it's more expensive than the Marlins, and yet generally not quite as accurate - it just seems overpriced relative to a Marlin. Savages and Remingtons look more cheesy, so I don't put them in the same category as a Marlin, but I still think the 10/22 is overpriced relative to the Savage and Remington, but only by a smidgeon.

Second reason is the hangover from hating Ruger for being the catalyst for the homeland defense rifle and standard capacity magazine ban of 1994. I need to get over that since my conscious mind at least "forgave" them a year or so back when they jumped squarely on the 'useful defense tool' bandwagon with the 556.

I traded off my 10/22 soon after the 1994 shenanigans by Ruger and became proudly Ruger-free for about 15 years. But now that they're "forgiven", it's time to get my Redhawk! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom