POF versus LWRC - help me decide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omega21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was at my LGS today looking for a 7.62 AR. I really want an LWRC but thought I would check out what was available locally. LGS had a POF that was priced $400-$600 less than an LWRC. The LGS owner told me the piston system is exactly the same in both guns. He indicated both (as well as LMT) shoot 1/2 MOA out of the box, so why pay more for the LWRC? I know absolutely nothing about POF so was hoping to get some feedback and opinions from the members of this forum. Is there $400-$600 worth of advantage built into the LWRC as compared to the POF?

JamesP82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For that much money I would be talking to Larue or GA Precision.

I went ahead and built my own and it shoots better than 1/2 moa. I'm picky about my stuff and wanted things a certain way.

Between those choices I would go LWRC. POF seems hit or miss from reviews.

omega21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love a Larue, but they are not available anywhere. The ones on GB are $4,800+ which is WAY more than the POF & LWRC ARs that are in the $2600-$3200 range. Good call on Larue!

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No comparison. Lwrc wins hands down. If noveske made a piston rifle, it would be close to an lwrc.

The customer service is top notch and lwrc actually makes their rifles.

Pof actually licenses their system from another company. The original creator and patent holding company have since parted ways and pof now uses a different company to produce piston rifles. Unless pof is now licensing lwrc's system, they are not the same.

In terms of operation and feel, the lwrc will always be slimmer and lighter. Pof's rail system is a beast and the top rail is actually about a half inch higher than others. There may be newer models coming out from pof that has a more in spec rail height with a lighter rail system now, but it's been a while since I've kept up with them.

An alternative option is to go with a piston LMT rifle. The benefit with LMT is you can easily switch it back to a di gun.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in this same boat (LWRC vs POF). After all the research I did, LWRC was the best choice. That's what I bought and I couldn't be happier. Your gun shop owner is incorrect on the piston systems being the same.

Personally, I don't see a reason to buy a piston AR unless you were running a short SBR, less than 12.5". Makes for a lot of added weight up front that is not needed. However, if your going to buy a piston AR, buy an LWRC.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd get the REPR if I were you though I doubt either will shoot 1/2 MOA right out of the box. The amount of salesmen that make stuff up is a lot higher than the amount of 1/2 MOA semi-autos right out of the box.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The safety would be LWRC for overall goodness. But LMT, KAC, and GAP build some nice 308's.

Iron Ridge Arms fell off the radar, unsure if they hit stiff competition or if QC was lost in the explosion as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom