Police add mine resistant military vehicles to fleets around Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'd plop down $2,500 for a MRAP...then go muddin. The MRAP is probably worth more than $2,500 as scrap metal.

The civilian definintion at dictionary.reference.com mentioned police. I wonder when the accepted definition of civilian was changed? All older references Webster's and even wikipedia, say civilians are non-military.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
To UMB: an MRAP is no more reasonable than a M4 Abrams. There is no justification, not reasonable reason to have it. It's just another way for a public servant to spend our money for something cool for them and useless for the rest of us.

there, I said it. if I get banned, it was nice knowing all of you.

Last edited:

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm starting to think the reason that all of this Military specialty equipment is ending up in the hands of police departments is not the militarization of our Police forces, but a way for the Feds to make back some of this money they're bleeding. A $730,000 MRAP sitting in a National Guard Motor Pool parking lot isn't making the federal government any money (and there aren't a lot of local PDs that are willing to fork over even $100,000 for an MRAP when they've got other stuff to worry about).

But if you offer the super-one-time-bargain of $2500 per MRAP, you can sell a bunch of 'em... and the Federal government probably has a crapload of this stuff sitting around not killing anybody, so why not wave that deal that's too good to be true to the states/local governments and make a little money at the same time?

Then when the states/locals figure out they don't need to kill more people than the federal government does, they'll sell them at auction to the public for probably between $5k and $30k. So somebody here will get a sweet deal on an MRAP for a pittance, the states/locals will have made money off of the Feds, and some company get's $730,000 to make these all day long.

Everybody wins, right!?!?

Just like Obamacare!

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At $2500 a pop Im betting the delivery cost is barely paid for, let alone the paperwork. I cant see this being a "money maker" for anyone, except the police department if they are allowed to demil and sell them on the open market. Which isnt going to happen for a looooong time, if at all.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure, just like firearms, if the PDs decide they don't want these MRAPs anymore they have to be dispo'd back to Uncle Sam....they PDs don't own them outright so they can't sell them, but dumping them on the PDs does save storage and maint costs on the fed side.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm guessing that more than a few of these departments don't have the budget to fuel that beast. Which adds to the stupidity for me.

I wonder when the accepted definition of civilian was changed?

Right after Al Gore invented the internet and it became easy to rewrite our country's history.

underpar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like the Guthrie guys idea on "touch the truck day"! Will go up and check it out when they have it. Seeing as how Canadian County has one, always a good idea to know what might be headed down the road.

Latest posts

Top Bottom