Poll: Marijuana Law Reform

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you support allowing physician-authorized patients to consume therapeutic cannabis

• yes

Votes: 278 79.7%
  • no

Votes: 71 20.3%

• Total voters

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or to put it another way, been there, done that, and wore out our cannabis t-shirts, then outgrew the desire to get high.

Face it guys, you are using the same tired old arguments that were used back in my day. No matter how you dress it up, how many straw man arguments, or how many "Rights Issues" you try to hide behind, the simple fact is a bunch of you want to be able to get high without legal problems.

Legalizing drugs is not going to do anything that is claimed by the druggies except let you get high. All the other crap thrown out is just a smoke screen and is annoying.

People get high on all sorts of drugs. Legal or illegal it doesn't stop them

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
or.... maybe it's that you can't trust yourself not to do it, so you don't want anyone else to do it either. kinda like those alcoholics that get all pissed off and pious if you drink in front of them.

see, I can make up random straw man dismissals about internet strangers too.

Your the one that started the statists crap instead of realizing some of us may have seen enough to have a good reason for our beliefs.

People get high on all sorts of drugs. Legal or illegal it doesn't stop them

So lets make it easier to ruin lives? Not smart.

Face it guys, you are NOT going to change my mind and I am going to express my opinion. Believe it or not, it is a semi-free country and I am allowed. Just like you are allowed to keep posting these silly threads.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everybody who supports prohibition just does so because they are lonely, unattractive, unloved, sexually frustrated old farts who express their misery through their hatred of the thought of the possibility of others having fun.

My God, life is so much easier when you don't actually have to logically address the arguments of your opponent, and can instead artificially lump them into a monolithic collective and assign them an easily-dismissible position of your own creation, which allows your blissfully non-critically-examined paradigm of thought to remain unshaken.

All joking aside, there is one broad statement you can truthfully make about every single supporter of prohibition: they all cheer on the threat and perpetration of violence against peaceful non-aggressors, and against some who are engaging in nothing more than voluntary association and trade with others. This morally depraved viewpoint is incompatible with a peaceful, civilized, and free society... you know, the kind that is most conducive to man's happiness and existence as a rational, creative, and productive being. It is morally depraved enough just to believe in and support such unjustified violence -- but the true psychopaths are those who are actually willing to carry it out against others. What a sad indictment of the moral condition of our society that the State's hired muscle -- who routinely employ violence against non-aggressors in exchange for value extorted from producers through further threats of violence -- are some of its most revered members.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good thing they're already legal, you just need a prescription

You also only need a prescription for meth. It's recommended for kids by the FDA with no limit on dosage.

Yep. You can actually hear the irony whistling as it flies over the heads of the pro-gunny anti-potters.

This. It's about as oxymoronic of a position that someone could have. It proves that they lack the ability to consistently apply logic and would rather their lives be governed by pure emotion, with positive emotional attachments resulting in "pro" positions and negative emotional attachments resulting in "anti" positions, and have complete and total disregard for how their emotionally driven ideals affect those around them who do not fit into their personal fantasy of Utopia.

CharlieMurphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's all BS to perpetuate a system of drug money laundering through large financial institutions and a prison for profit system in the US. We call ourselves a free country? We have more folks in prison in both number and percentage, even more than "red" China with a population 4 times the size of ours. We are turning it around slowly though, only by the will of the people with no help from our politicians. If the people lead, the leaders will follow.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N_54LJMwG4E

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just makes me hungry, sleepy, and tired. Oh, and stupid. I guess it still does. I'm out of high school now, so I haven't smoked it for an extra special long time.

I used to care about keeping it illegal. Now, I don't care either way. I don't use it. Has no affect on me if it is or isn't. Probably would have saved Hostess if they had done it a year ago. Poor Twinkies.

Damn Dave, where have you been?

No matter how you dress it up, how many straw man arguments, or how many "Rights Issues" you try to hide behind, the simple fact is a bunch of you want to be able to get high without legal problems.

Legalizing drugs is not going to do anything that is claimed by the druggies except let you get high. All the other crap thrown out is just a smoke screen and is annoying.

1. A bunch of us might partake if legal, but mainly I just want the option to be able to "get high without legal problems".

2. Legalizing marijuana won't stop the militarized marijuana raids or the countless dollars spent investigating, prosecuting, and incarcerating marijuana-only offenders? Explain how, please.

Last edited:

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn Dave, where have you been?

1. A bunch of us might partake if legal, but mainly I just want the option to be able to get high without legal problems.

2. Legalizing marijuana won't stop the militarized marijuana raids or the countless dollars spent investigating, prosecuting, and incarcerating marijuana-only offenders? Explain how, please.

I gave up on expecting anything meaningful and logical to come from RickN on this subject when he twice ignored some direct questions from me.

Interestingly there has been research done by RAND and the National Institutes of Health that indicate crime around dispensaries in California has not increased and has in fact been measurably decreased.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or to put it another way, been there, done that, and wore out our cannabis t-shirts, then outgrew the desire to get high.

all you are doing is verifying an old World Heath Organization study on pot which claims most (not all) pot users will quit by about age 35.

scientific evidence shows 91% of pot users suffer no harm from single and/or occasional use of pot. so 9% of users end up dependent on pot (not addicted) vs alcohol 15 percent; for cocaine, 17 percent; for heroin, 23 percent; and for nicotine, 32 percent.

Since most pot users smoked cigarettes and/or drank beer before trying pot. Should we also be asking whether nicotine and alcohol are gateway drugs?

---------------
Experts Tell the Truth about Pot
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-truth-about-pot

Marijuana use can be problematic but only rarely leads to addiction

How Many Get Hooked?
Marijuana, which is also known as cannabis, is the most widely used illicit substance in the world, according to a United Nations report from 2002. Recreational use is widespread in the U.S., and medical use is on the rise. In a 2007 study psychologist Louisa Degenhardt of Michigan State University and her colleagues found that 43 percent of U.S. adults aged 18 or older have tried marijuana at least once. Many adolescents are drawn to the drug as well. In the large, ongoing Monitoring the Future study, researchers at the University of Michigan found that 14 percent of eighth graders had used marijuana at least once in the previous year with the number increasing to 35 percent for 12th graders. Marijuana use will undoubtedly grow in the near future because 16 states have already legalized it for medical use, and many more are considering legislation that would make it legal.

Given the drug’s growing popularity, many people have long been concerned about its potential dangers and, in particular, whether it can be addictive. People tend to use “addiction” and “dependence” interchangeably, although drug experts now favor the term “dependence.” In the current version of the mental health profession’s “bible,” the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, a diagnosis of cannabis dependence (a type of substance dependence) requires a person to meet at least three of seven criteria.

A number of investigators have addressed this issue and found that only a relatively small percentage of those who try marijuana will become addicted. For example, in a large-scale survey published in 1994 epidemiologist James Anthony, then at the National Institute on Drug Abuse, and his colleagues asked more than 8,000 people between the ages of 15 and 64 about their use of marijuana and other drugs. The researchers found that of those who had tried marijuana at least once, about 9 percent eventually fit a diagnosis of cannabis dependence. The corresponding figure for alcohol was 15 percent; for cocaine, 17 percent; for heroin, 23 percent; and for nicotine, 32 percent. So although marijuana may be addictive for some, 91 percent of those who try it do not get hooked. Further, marijuana is less addictive than many other legal and illegal drugs.

Possible Perils
A hotly debated issue is whether marijuana is a “gateway” drug, leading to the use of more dangerous substances. Many studies have found that most people who used other illicit drugs had, in fact, used marijuana first. Although results such as these are consistent with the gateway hypothesis, they do not prove that using marijuana causes the use of other drugs. Those who are drawn to marijuana may simply be predisposed to drug use in general, regardless of their exposure to pot. In addition, individuals often smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol before they latch on to marijuana. Should we also be asking whether nicotine and alcohol are gateway drugs?

Last edited:

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Possible Perils
A hotly debated issue is whether marijuana is a “gateway” drug, leading to the use of more dangerous substances. Many studies have found that most people who used other illicit drugs had, in fact, used marijuana first. Although results such as these are consistent with the gateway hypothesis, they do not prove that using marijuana causes the use of other drugs. Those who are drawn to marijuana may simply be predisposed to drug use in general, regardless of their exposure to pot. In addition, individuals often smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol before they latch on to marijuana. Should we also be asking whether nicotine and alcohol are gateway drugs?

Per the Controlled Substance Act:

Marijuana is a Schedule I drug. Schedule I drugs have no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
Cocaine is a Schedule II drug. Schedule II drugs have currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States, or currently accepted medical use with severe restrictions

D.A.R.E. education, conservative media, and the other uninformed teach us that marijuana is a gateway drug to harder drugs, like cocaine. Yet, the Controlled Substance Act would suggest that, if the gateway theory were true, marijuana is a gateway drug to safer, less harmful drugs, like cocaine.

Makes perfect sense, if you don't think about it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom