possible ebola in dallas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
This guy caught it while in africa, he has not been referred to as a doc or othe health care provder. To say that ebola absolutely only transmits with close blood bodily fluid secretion is BS. That may be the clinical definition, but 20k+ cases say otherwise.

Understand the context here, yes... but certainly not enough to say that since he isn't a medical worker he wasn't exposed to blood or body fluids. Lots, lots, lots, LOTS of people in direct or indirect contact with a patient can easily be exposed to blood and/or bodily fluids. Simply a person wiping their nose and touching a doorhandle at a supermarket, bathroom, restaurant, rental car, bus or terminal, etc... could transmit it. I'm not sure 100% what you're getting at, but I don't think there's anywhere near enough evidence to suggest airborne transmission at this point in time.

Should we try to plan for worst-case scenario? Sure... but I wouldn't be too quick to start handing out masks to the general public or anything like that, yet.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Understand the context here, yes... but certainly not enough to say that since he isn't a medical worker he wasn't exposed to blood or body fluids. Lots, lots, lots, LOTS of people in direct or indirect contact with a patient can easily be exposed to blood and/or bodily fluids. Simply a person wiping their nose and touching a doorhandle at a supermarket, bathroom, restaurant, rental car, bus or terminal, etc... could transmit it. I'm not sure 100% what you're getting at, but I don't think there's anywhere near enough evidence to suggest airborne transmission at this point in time.

Should we try to plan for worst-case scenario? Sure... but I wouldn't be too quick to start handing out masks to the general public or anything like that, yet.

I was not suggesting airborne transmission. What I was getting at is that all these people keep saying it is super hard to catch ebola, yet some many, even docs who are trained on how to keep clean, get it. While being immersed in patients all day is certainly going to make it easier to contract, but most of the people that have caught it were not health care providers, rather family members and through casual contact. This person was in the wild as a contagious carrier. It will spread from there. I find it highly unlikely that no one else will become infected because of this one guy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom