Post up this years predators.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome Phillip! We went out on the river north of Cheyenne this weekend and called. Had great weather till about 10:30 Sat morning and then the wind started blowing hard. Saw 5 coyotes Sat morning and shot them all. One was mangy and fell in a deep canyon and we didn't retrieve it but here are pics of the other 4. It was still and beautiful this morning for a couple stands and we called a pair in on the second stand. My brother and I were sitting about 15 yrds apart and I looked over my right shoulder and saw one coming up between us. About that time he shot another one that was out at 100 yrds and the one right by us lit the afterburners. I tried to stop him but couldn't and took a running shot at 75 yrds and rolled him but he got up and ran over a sand hill and disappeared. Found blood but tracking is hard in sand and we never found him. We saw 7 coyotes over the weekend and only that one got away and he had lead in him. We had a great time in God's creation.
i35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_LonDarYotesjpg.jpg

This one I shot right on the lip of a deep canyon that we had to cross anyway to get to the next spot but we left him there and didn't get his pic with the other 3 on Sat.
i35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_Lonyotejpg.jpg

This is my youngest brother with the last one from this morning.
i35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_Darrellyotejpg.jpg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad and I bought a couple traps each, last week, we discussed where to set em and how to bait em, to try and catch bobcats. Well, he set em yesterday and we went to check em today and found a bobcat in one of em. The successful set was baited with a couple ribs sections from some hybrids, Oneshotonekill and I caught last week. He hung a fish skin up to "shine" a little to draw attention to it. I am surprised we didn't have a coon.
i106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_bobcat1.jpg

i106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_bobcat.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome catch!!:) Never tried fish for bait before, what were the other ones baited with? I've been plagued by coon this last week. We had 1 to 1.3 inches of rain where my traps are, coons in the traps everyday, with cat tracks in the mud just a few yards away, coons are beating them to the traps I guess. You going to taxidermy or sell?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okie, thanks for the congrats, both were baited with the fish ribs, cut from the fillets. The skin had kinda dried out, and a zip tie was pushed through and it was hung on a limb about 2 foot from the ground above the successful trap. I really wanted to use the remains of a duck or goose carcass and hang it in the back of the trap, but I haven't been waterfowl hunting this year. I may buy some quail from a guy that sells pen raised quail. I think if I put the 2 traps in close proximity and use the quail in the live bait cages in the traps, they well "communicate" back and forth calling in more bobcats. Until then, fish rib sections will have to suffice.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DUMB QUESTION ALERT!

Once you guys trap something how do you kill it? I've read there are snares in the traps but most of the pic I see they are still alive? I'm still new to hunting. I just came into 100 acres of family land that I plan on taking full advantage of so i'm trying to learn as much as I can!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Did the traps come with the bait cages? I know a guy who does this with chickens, they cluck back and forth, should work with quail the same. You buy them locally or internet?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
kroberts, I used a .22 short, fired from a pistol to put the kitty to sleep.

Okie, I forgot to answer the question taxidermy or sell. We saw a cat, we are sure is bigger than this one on Thanksgiving, if I don't get another, this one will likely be mounted. Its in the freezer on stand by, until closer to Feb. 28 for me to decide. We bought the traps at Tractor Supply, they have some with the bait cages, and some without.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DUMB QUESTION ALERT!

Once you guys trap something how do you kill it? I've read there are snares in the traps but most of the pic I see they are still alive? I'm still new to hunting. I just came into 100 acres of family land that I plan on taking full advantage of so i'm trying to learn as much as I can!
Most people either shoot them in the trap or use a catch pole and choke them out. Either way will work but I prefer the catch pole.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Kroberts, excactly what bassin said is what I use, have a friend that uses a pellet rifle, it doesn't take much to penetrate a cat skull at point blank

bassin- thanks, I'll have to check out the Tractor Supply, how tall are they?

Latest posts

Top Bottom