Powder Shipments Halted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greytdanehouse

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did have an e-mail conversation with him about this.

If he allowed even curb-side pickup,,,
His insurance would have to be increased,,,
Because then he would be a walk-in retail establishment.

Aarond

As if we needed another reason to hate insurance companies.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Evidently Alliant Powder is back to distributing powder.
Midway USA has a decent stock as of this AM.
I would think that Alliant would be selling every grain they can get to market. Have you noticed their price increases over the 3-4 years? VihtaVuori is actually cheaper than some of the Alliant and Hodgdon powders now. Hodgdon has been kinda pricy for a few years now but Alliant has always been kind of a bargain. That is all gone I guess.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve used Unique for multiple pistol and shotgun recipes. Is it the best powder? No, but it will go bang.
I use W231 in much the same way and I might have a pound or two on hand. :)

I started reloading back in the mid 80's and my mentor was a gunsmith buddy of mine, after getting my bench more or less set up he told me to get a pound of W231, some 230 gr. bullets and a couple of hundred WLP's and he'd come over and show me how to reload 45ACP which is the caliber I first started with.

Later when I started loading .38 spl., .357 mag. and .44 spl. & mag. I found data in the books for them using W231 and that's what I used since I had it on hand.....not interested in getting rid of them but I do have some H110, 2400, CFE Pistol and Unique for handgun loads but rarely use them.

w231.jpg

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use W231 in much the same way and I might have a pound or two on hand. :)

I started reloading back in the mid 80's and my mentor was a gunsmith buddy of mine, after getting my bench more or less set up he told me to get a pound of W231, some 230 gr. bullets and a couple of hundred WLP's and he'd come over and show me how to reload 45ACP which is the caliber I first started with.

Later when I started loading .38 spl., .357 mag. and .44 spl. & mag. I found data in the books for them using W231 and that's what I used since I had it on hand.....not interested in getting rid of them but I do have some H110, 2400, CFE Pistol and Unique for handgun loads but rarely use them.

View attachment 491038
When I first started out I picked W231 for auto loaders, blue dot for revolvers, and varget for my rifle loads. Mostly based off case volume fill to minimize the chance of a double charge and temp stability. All choice were geared toward minimizing the chances of me blowing something up.

I never strayed too far away from those three unless I got into magnum rifle loads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom