Practicing suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't try all the fancy stuff...shooting and moving, crouching tiger, leaping dragon...etc. ( all ment in fun guys) untill you can make the base times of your selected drills, AND have AT LEAST 85% A zone hits.

Dang, this is were I screwed up. I started out practicing my bullet curving like the assassins in Wanted with Angelina Jolie.

I think one overlooked training tool is the video camera. You will be able to see your form when you shoot. At the H&H competition on Sunday it was quite easy to spot the people with poor grips due to a couple of the stage layouts (had decent profile views). If you watch the form of the likes of Ol Yeller, KurtM, DavidE, Lance and quite a few others. Then are able to compare that to yourself. You can make quite a few adjustments faster.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Ummmm....I'm going to go ahead and have to disagree with a few of you.

The books are fine, but LATTER...especially Brians ( what a weird book, unless you have a foundation built). Video doesn't help much unless you know what you are seeing and why. You can ape what I do, but without the knowledge of what I am doing and why I am doing it, it will likely end up somewhere else with a frustrating bad habit to break

. Books rent space in your head and unless you have an idea of what stuff feels like, you can't compair. Start out, reach your first plateu and then go to the books and video and ask question. As mentioned by myself and Glocktogo, get a timer, understand a basic presentation, and get to it, save the intermediate stuff for...well...the time for intermediate stuff. Don't get hung up on speed, DO get hung up on accuracy, and enjoy the ride as it happens,. Don't over info yourself! KurtM

rockon71385

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ummmm....I'm going to go ahead and have to disagree with a few of you.

The books are fine, but LATTER...especially Brians ( what a weird book, unless you have a foundation built). Video doesn't help much unless you know what you are seeing and why. You can ape what I do, but without the knowledge of what I am doing and why I am doing it, it will likely end up somewhere else with a frustrating bad habit to break

I'd agree about Brian's book. That's something to read once you have at least a few months worth of matches under you belt. Steve Anderson's book isn't really a book though. It's just a big list of drills you can practice. I wouldn't hesitate to pick that up as a beginner.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow.. i was very busy today and just got back to this. THANK YOU so much for all the comments. This is exactly what I wanted to hear and learn.

I am a professional musician and music teacher, so this is all very familiar to me. I will be printing these suggestions out and saving them. I will also look into the drills and classes in the future.

Thank you again for the info. I hope to hear more as well!

B

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Olyeller posted a giant .pdf of handgun drills somewhere. Right now I can't remember if it was here or over on enos, but you may want to try and track that post down.

Going with a plan will prevent you from doing non productive stuff like taping empty hulls to your targets and seeing how fast you can shoot them off, which I may or may not have done.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of you guys in the OKC area interested in helping out a noob and running through some drills with me at the gun club? There's a lot I can do on my own of course, but it doesn't hurt to throw it out there.

Thanks again!

B

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As long as you are buying books don't forget to buy a notebook and write down questions and some results. That is the only way you can evaluate your experiments. I don't think that there is anything that sticks after just one range session. Sometimes it takes months and I can forget an awful lot in that time. I would probably forget what the experiment was to begin with.

Curly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as you are buying books don't forget to buy a notebook and write down questions and some results. That is the only way you can evaluate your experiments. I don't think that there is anything that sticks after just one range session. Sometimes it takes months and I can forget an awful lot in that time. I would probably forget what the experiment was to begin with.

I have a notebook that Kurtm helped me with years ago,school drills for pistol,rifle and shotgun.This has helped me more than anything and I have been shooting this game for years.What ever you do ,do it with the TIMER,I still have problems at the matches,it seems when the timer goes off my brain goes to sleep for a second or two and the first shot wakes me up and then I'm confused

Latest posts

Top Bottom