Prepping for Earthquakes ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not something I thought I'd ever consider ... In fact, I remember posting on another board one time that I was grateful that earthquakes were something I didn't have to worry about ... :shocked::teehee: Now look at me ... :teehee::spitlaugh

I've only felt a couple of them so far ... one was just a little "boom" ... the other was a lot more frightening ... It was a "rolling" sensation and it lasted for a bit ... All I could think of was "please don't crack the foundation, please don't crack the foundation, please don't crack the foundation" :( ... I never thought I'd be sorry my house is on a concrete slab ... :lookaroun

Anyway, are any of you guys taking any added precautions ... have you considered the damage a sizable rumbler could cause to your preps? and have you done anything to prepare for that?

Me?? I'm thinking about adding a rail to the front of all my shelving to keep canned goods from falling off ... It shouldn't be to difficult to attach a strip of wood ... or metal to the front of my shelves a couple of inches up ...

And I'm thinking about attaching those shelves to the walls ... although I'm not really sure yet how I'm gonna go about THAT ...

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm considering getting the hell out of Oklahoma before it becomes a big crater, a river of lava, or whatever cataclysmic event can come from it.

All I know is there has been a 22,900% increase in earthquakes in this state since 2008, and the frequency of them isn't slowing down. I could care less the cause of them, be it fracking, or an underground volcano is about to show it's ugly face, or a pissed off dinosaur is trying to get out of an underground cave. 22,900% is a hell of an increase, and something is happening under our feet.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Much as GC would like to move to Wyoming when he retires I dunno if we will ever leave. We don't have any relatives to keep either of us here but still ... we have friends we would miss ... More GC than me ... :wink2: I'm an antisocial cranky old misfit ...

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put an earthquake rider on my house a while back. You should be able to stabilize those shelves with some L brackets mounted to the back of the shelf and into a stud.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a bad one happens even if it does not get your house, you may not have any utilities including electricity, cable, phone (including cell phones), water, natural gas, and maybe not sewer. It may take one or more weeks before you get those back. You will probably not be able to get gasoline either. This is not a pretty picture and is kind of a worse case. If you house is damaged, you will need a tent, sleeping bags, and some way to cook food, assuming that you have any.

I am real cheerful this evening. :)

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Much as GC would like to move to Wyoming when he retires I dunno if we will ever leave. We don't have any relatives to keep either of us here but still ... we have friends we would miss ... More GC than me ... :wink2: I'm an antisocial cranky old misfit ...

WY is gods country!

Umm ... and y'all want to move to Wyoming because of Oklahoma's itty-bitty geologic episodes?

yellowstone.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...wstone-geyser-national-park-thermal/12491939/

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/796...elts-sign-of-impending-supervolcano-eruption/

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing I am considering is the safety strap around the hot water heater to prevent tipping over.
Cheap and easy to do.

I saw a thing about that on the news one night and then promptly forgot about it. Thank you for reminding me. Given the facts that UMB felt the earthquake earlier today, and he's not that far from me, I think that little DIY project just got bumped to the top of the list ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom