Prescription Shooting Glasses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tilting my head back enough to keep the front sight in focus is getting to be a pain in the neck, so have started researching the possibility of having a pair made.

Anyone tried any of these and have any thoughts or advice they'd like to share? Any trouble having your regular optometrist write the prescription, or did you have to go to someone special? I know that computer glasses with the "reading" portion at the top are pretty common, but haven't seen any of the local labs advertising these.

Thanks!

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wear contacts for my vision. I am assuming you have bifocals for close up vision and that is the reason for tilting your head back.

You will likely be able to speak with your optometrist and get something setup for use. My wife has her contacts setup for what is called monovision where one eye is more for up close vision and one is setup for distance. She still has to have reading glasses for fine print but can use the sights on a pistol with no problem. They can probably do the same with a set of shooting glasses as well. Set one lens to something that allows you to see your sights and the other for focus on your target.

I dealt with Ross Eye Care in Lawton while I lived down there and they should be able to figure something out with you if you are interested. www.rosseyecare.us is their site and you can either call or drop a message through the site.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks - wore contacts a long time ago but can't any more. Have been in progressives for several years thus the need to tilt the head back, also almost impossible to get a good cheek weld on most rifles without going to extremes.

Have had suggestions about using computer glasses, monovision setups, upside-down bifocal in dominant eye, etc. and was just wondering if anyone here had tried any of those personally and what they thought about them. Also have been told that the doc needs to adjust to set the "reading" focus prescription to be the approximate eye-to-sight distance desired(?)

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks - wore contacts a long time ago but can't any more. Have been in progressives for several years thus the need to tilt the head back, also almost impossible to get a good cheek weld on most rifles without going to extremes.

Have had suggestions about using computer glasses, monovision setups, upside-down bifocal in dominant eye, etc. and was just wondering if anyone here had tried any of those personally and what they thought about them. Also have been told that the doc needs to adjust to set the "reading" focus prescription to be the approximate eye-to-sight distance desired(?)

Yeah, lots of options that can be done. It really depends on what you are comfortable with, some people can't handle mono vision but my wife enjoys it. She said driving was a little weird at first but is able to use the computer without reading glasses on. The biggest thing is what will work for you, it's hard to go by the results someone else gets.

spacepiggy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I needed glasses after cataract surgery. The prescription is for "middle" distance, meaning about 12~25 feet, plus bifocal for reading. They pretty much suck for anything other than driving a car or girl-watching while reading a book.

I asked my ophthalmologist for "computer" glasses, plus the reading bifocal. Sometimes they're called "piano" glasses, they're intended for use while at a keyboard. Not very close up for reading, not for distance vision. Just right for something held in my hand at arm's length. Bonus: the bifocals help me see to load without dropping ammo...or read the paper on my desk I'm typing up.

Last edited:

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I needed glasses after cataract surgery. The prescription is for "middle" distance, meaning about 12~25 feet, plus bifocal for reading. They pretty much suck for anything other than driving a car or girl-watching while reading a book.

I asked my ophthalmologist for "computer" glasses, plus the reading bifocal. Sometimes they're called "piano" glasses, they're intended for use while at a keyboard. Not very close up for reading, not for distance vision. Just right for something held in my hand at arm's length. Bonus: the bifocals help me see to load without dropping ammo...or read the paper on my desk I'm typing up.
Piano glasses - thanks, that's new to me but may well be more familiar to my optometrist.

I've been delaying cataract surgery for a while, still putting it off as it sounds like there will probably be some things coming soon that can be done at the same time to reduce IOP, and also thinking that the longer I wait the more likely it is for the accommodating lenses to be more common so less pricey. Hoping if I can get one set of custom glasses they'll last me until then, my prescription's been pretty stable for a while.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad had cataract surgery after wearing glasses for 45 to 50 years and says he sees better now than he ever could and dont wear glass anymore and he is 81 and he shots all the time keeping the varments away from the house

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have monovision Rx shooting glasses for pistol shooting that I had done by my local optometrist. I told him exactly what I needed and it was no problem. With monovision, the front sight is in focus for the dominant eye and the target is is in focus for the other eye. Takes some getting used to, but it works.

Latest posts

Top Bottom