Prices getting crazy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off let me say that I am not asking for help. We will get things done some at a time like we always do.

Anyway, took the Pathfinder in to Hibdon's to get the front end alignment checked as the car has a shimmy between 65 and 70 on the highway. Turns out not the alignment but the wheel bearings and a tie rod end. Also going to need a head gasket replaced and tires before too long. All together close to $2000.00 if I was crazy enough to have Hibdon's do all of it.

Sad part is years ago I could have done half of it myself. I have replaced head gaskets and wheel bearings before. Granted it was on a 65 Chevy pickup but still, I did them. I thought I would check to see how hard wheel bearings are on this car. Holy crap! The first 5 minutes of a 13 minute video and I knew there was no way I could do it. Not only do I not have the strength anymore, but buying the tools would cost me a fortune. I already knew I did not have the torque wrenches and stuff for the head gaskets.

So that is my ***** for the day and thank/s for letting me vent. They said the head gasket and wheel bearing are the most pressing but I worry more about the tie rod end and will probably have it replaced first. Wheel bearings, front end, then worry about tires and head gasket. At least that seems like the best order to me. Anyone think different.

Yes I just fed a opening to the peanut gallery. :P

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
@RickN, I highly recommend Steve Hopkins at Absolute Auto.
85D68B7F-45F7-49B3-8045-44FB884F2B4B.png

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off let me say that I am not asking for help. We will get things done some at a time like we always do.

Anyway, took the Pathfinder in to Hibdon's to get the front end alignment checked as the car has a shimmy between 65 and 70 on the highway. Turns out not the alignment but the wheel bearings and a tie rod end. Also going to need a head gasket replaced and tires before too long. All together close to $2000.00 if I was crazy enough to have Hibdon's do all of it.

Sad part is years ago I could have done half of it myself. I have replaced head gaskets and wheel bearings before. Granted it was on a 65 Chevy pickup but still, I did them. I thought I would check to see how hard wheel bearings are on this car. Holy crap! The first 5 minutes of a 13 minute video and I knew there was no way I could do it. Not only do I not have the strength anymore, but buying the tools would cost me a fortune. I already knew I did not have the torque wrenches and stuff for the head gaskets.

So that is my ***** for the day and thank/s for letting me vent. They said the head gasket and wheel bearing are the most pressing but I worry more about the tie rod end and will probably have it replaced first. Wheel bearings, front end, then worry about tires and head gasket. At least that seems like the best order to me. Anyone think different.

Yes I just fed a opening to the peanut gallery. :P
Are you saying 2k for wheel bearings tie rod, head gasket and tires? That seems cheap as shite if so.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel for you, dude. The starter started going out on my Honda, and two repair shops quoted me about $900 to replace it. I used my neighbor’s vehicle lift and did the job myself for $350 - and several hours plus some choice language for the engineers who designed the starter’s location. Wasn’t easy like on the 1991 Chevy 1500 pickup I had!

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What??? Head gasket?? Coolant was perfect, oil was perfect, never got hot at all. Hibdons will destroy a vehicle every chance they get.

And how did they diagnose a bad head gasket? Has the car over heated? Smoked at start up? Misfire? Coolant look good? Oil look good? I'll buy the car back from you if you need me to but not after hibdons jacks with it. I just don't see how it could cluster F that quickly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom