Privacy fence options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you put in a wood fence, use cedar and raise it about the width of a 2x4 off the ground. I did this on a cedar fence about 10 years ago and the fence is still up and looking good and there is no ground rot. Use a pressure treated post set in concrete to hold the fencing up and in a few seasons of sun fade you cannot tell the difference. That 1 1/2 inch space under the fence makes for good weed eating clearance and lets the wind slide under the fence, Not long after I and a neighbor both put up fences, the neighbors fence got blown down, mine stayed up and is still up and I believe that 1 1/2 inch ground clearance makes a difference during wind storm.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If someone is paying 12K for a vinyl fence then they got more cents then brains. They look tacky. It's kinda like beer. Cheap beer goes in aluminum cans. Good beer goes in glass bottles. Vinyl fences look trailer park trashy. They are what they are.

As long as you realize that you're in the minority when it comes to your opinion, then it's fine to have a different opinion.

Welcome to my trailer park!!

[Broken External Image]

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got my cedar 10 years ago at a sawmill near yukon ok..I have no idea if they still sell cedar slabs or not.
some research into saw mills may turn something up..

My posts are 4x4 treated timbers Concreted into the holes..gravel in the bottom of the holes then i heap the concrete above the ground by 2" high and taper it off..so water sheds off the concrete..Runners are 2x4's and to keep ants and bugs from living in the 2x4 i paint them with a mix of transfluid and linseed oil
Do the same to a pine fence every 3-4 years and it will last 30 years..no rot and no bugs eating it..use a roller to paint it. cedar slab fence 001.jpgcedar slab fence 002.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the best way to build a drive through gate. you can swing on this gate. It is over 9 feet wide .
Dolese actually backed a concrete truck through this gate to deliver me 5 yards for my add on.gate 001.jpggate 002.jpggate 003.jpg

There is 800 +lbs of concrete in the hole for the post the gate swings on..the hole is 3 feet deep with a bottom that is 3feet wide and a top that is about 1.75 feet wide ...a bell shape basically...this keeps the posts from moving at the bottom...EVER
Yes i may be into overkill....
I have made these over 12' wide with metal fencing on them...No need for wheels.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use cedar picketts, and chain link corner posts (2" galvinized, 8ft sticks) for the posts for your fence. Use cedar 2x4s for the runners. There are specialty brackets made by simpson strong tie to attach the runners to the posts. The attach the picketts to the runners.

Its the only way to build a pivacy fence, and will last thru years of oklahoma winds and weather.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bumping an old thread:

What if I wanted someone to put up my fence - anyone have any idea on cost from places like Allied or Empire? We're moving into a new house where the HOA has to approve the fence-builders/fence beforehand and we're considering just having the builder do it if the cost isn't that much more.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I paid $14 a foot for cedar with a 10 ft and 3 ft gate. No fly by night fence guys either. The work was excellent quality. If you can't find that price PM me.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A shadowbox fence looks good, lets wind through and provides a pretty decent amount of privacy. I put mine up myself, 4x4 treated posts and 2x4 treated rails, with treated pickets nailed onto them. I did space the pickets the width of a 2x4 off the ground. It may not keep all the varmints out but much easier to run the weedeater and not tear up the wood. Only things I would change is using cedar for the pickets as the treated stuff moves A LOT, warps, bows and cracks. I'd also screw the pickets to the rails, not nail them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom