Processed brass value?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was saving up pretty much all my brass, thinking one day when I started reloading, that it would come in handy; however Now that I am about to start reloading I find that there is not enough savings in trying to mess with 9mm unless I were going to shoot cast lead. (which i do not want to do).

So, I have a packed full 1gallon ziplock bag of 9mm brass.
And since i got my tumbler friday, I had to try it out. so I tossed it in the corncob media and cleaned it all up in two batches, and when i get my press this week i might think about depriming it.

So, my question is this.
I notice that unprocessed mixed once-fired 9mm brass is $40 per 1000 on powdervallyinc.com; what do you guys think a fair price per round of tumbled and deprimed once fired mixed 9mm brass would be in our area? Or, even just the tumbled brass not deprimed.

i am sure i will pop a few primers out of them just to mess around when i get my equipment this week, but depending on how much my doing this will increase the value, i may not bother depriming it all.

i also am not sure how many casings are in a full 1gallon ziplock bag... im guessing round 1.5k? maybe less?

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The time savings depends on the reloader. It has zero value to me as I decap them and then I use a thumlers tumbler and stainless media to clean them. It cleans the primer pockets really well and the brass is spotless. If you don't take the primers out before you tumble then it might be of value to you. Just my .02 worth.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Robert, you might reconsider trying cast bullets. I used to the same way. I tried J&K cast bullets and I love them. After I worked up loads for my pistols they are very accurate and they don't lead the barrels. I bet Mitch will be at the Wannemacher show in Tulsa next week. You might try some.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i dunno, i might try cast, but i dunno.

might consider it more for my 357m revolver

Unless you are going to cast a lot and have a good source of lead, buying from Mitch at J&K makes a lot more sense. I cast about 25 different bullets and still buy most of what I shoot in quantity from Mitch. The odball stuff I cast is mostly stuff I can't buy ready to laod. Blitzfike

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Unless you are going to cast a lot and have a good source of lead, buying from Mitch at J&K makes a lot more sense. I cast about 25 different bullets and still buy most of what I shoot in quantity from Mitch. The odball stuff I cast is mostly stuff I can't buy ready to laod. Blitzfike

This. Casting is slow, and not cost effective for large quantities, unless you have time out your ears and no money. I cast my own when I was in college, because I had the time and money was tight; so it kept me shooting when I otherwise couldn't.

Where are you getting not worth reloading for 9mm? I'm currently loading 9mm with 124gr Montana Gold CMJ bullets for about .12$ / round. It works out to $119 / 1k. That's nearly 50% of the cost of cheap 124gr 9mm FMJ ammo.

Aguila 124gr FMJ 9mm $199 @ ammunitiontogo.com

American Eagle 124gr FMJ 9mm $229 @ ammunitiontogo.com

Latest posts

Top Bottom