Processed brass value?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Robert, you have anything besides 9mm? To answer your question processed isn't worth more to me because decamping is part of my press and my tumbler works 24hr a day..

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
im processing the 223, but i am actually using it. so i am probably going to try and sell the 9mm brass, but i am not going to waste time decapping it.

i tried figuring up the cost to reload 9mm based off stuff from powder valley and it was not as great a savings as as i figured it was; i am sure there is a better combination that i didn't see that would make it worth it, but i shoot more 223 anyways.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reload 9mm for $90 / 1000 rds. That's a nice 50% off saving of commercial. Seems like a good deal. Keep your eyes open and save more with deals in bullets.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This. Casting is slow, and not cost effective for large quantities, unless you have time out your ears and no money. I cast my own when I was in college, because I had the time and money was tight; so it kept me shooting when I otherwise couldn't.

Where are you getting not worth reloading for 9mm? I'm currently loading 9mm with 124gr Montana Gold CMJ bullets for about .12$ / round. It works out to $119 / 1k. That's nearly 50% of the cost of cheap 124gr 9mm FMJ ammo.

Aguila 124gr FMJ 9mm $199 @ ammunitiontogo.com

American Eagle 124gr FMJ 9mm $229 @ ammunitiontogo.com

This is what keeps my from loading 9mm. You've got to process the brass (tumble), and with a turret press it'll take me a couple of hours at least to load 1k rounds when I can buy 1k rounds of fmj for $200 locally usually. The several hours of boring repetitive work and lead exposure keeps me buying factory 9mm. (Lead exposure tends to be the worst around the dust created from tumbling)

I reload pretty much every other caliber I shoot, but 9mm just isn't cost effective unless you've got lots of time on your hands.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what keeps my from loading 9mm. You've got to process the brass (tumble), and with a turret press it'll take me a couple of hours at least to load 1k rounds when I can buy 1k rounds of fmj for $200 locally usually. The several hours of boring repetitive work and lead exposure keeps me buying factory 9mm. (Lead exposure tends to be the worst around the dust created from tumbling)

I reload pretty much every other caliber I shoot, but 9mm just isn't cost effective unless you've got lots of time on your hands.

with range brass and plated bullets you could save nearly a $100 bucks on a thousand, but you got to have a progressive or it would get boring. I can't imagine it being any worse than other pistol calibers someone runs.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
with range brass and plated bullets you could save nearly a $100 bucks on a thousand, but you got to have a progressive or it would get boring. I can't imagine it being any worse than other pistol calibers someone runs.

How long does it take you guys to run off a thousand with a progressive press?

I mostly load rifle calibers, .38/357, and 45lc right now. I've gotten lazy in my old age and generally plink with a revolver so I don't have to dig my casings out of the dirt!

Latest posts

Top Bottom