Processing new .223 Brass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reloader27

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There really is not a science to it as there are many factors that contribute to the rate brass "grows" I check every loading but... I'd think you should be able to get two or three loadings after a trim if they are not too hot and you are full length resizing them like you should be

That sounds about right to me. I saw a post that said to trim after the first fire on the once fired brass. I would think to measure before first reload and then measure after first fire and then only trim when necessary, but probably just a general precautionary statement. Do you crimp your AR .223 reloads?

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sounds about right to me. I saw a post that said to trim after the first fire on the once fired brass. I would think to measure before first reload and then measure after first fire and then only trim when necessary, but probably just a general precautionary statement. Do you crimp your AR .223 reloads?

Yes! If it fires from a semiauto (or full auto) it needs to be crimped. I kinda cheat a little. I have a Dillon 1200 trimmer mounted to a XL650 and casefeeder. I can trim, re-size and de-cap about 1200 cases in an hour. So I run everything through the machine and if it needs it it gets it and if it does not then it misses the cutter.

Reloader27

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes! If it fires from a semiauto (or full auto) it needs to be crimped. I kinda cheat a little. I have a Dillon 1200 trimmer mounted to a XL650 and casefeeder. I can trim, re-size and de-cap about 1200 cases in an hour. So I run everything through the machine and if it needs it it gets it and if it does not then it misses the cutter.

Man I bet that trimmer is nice! I have the Dillon 550 and love it! I find myself always buying new brass and have not had to trim to much yet since all my brass has only been fired once or twice. But now with the AR probably a heck of a lot more shooting and then trimming!!! But then again that brass is so cheap, so here I go... :wink2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom