Propane to Charcoal (for BBQing)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'm late to the trend but has anyone else made this move?

Picked up a Weber and have been experimenting with techniques. So far my steaks are coming out with the nice smoky flavor that was missing from years of propane grilling. I added some wet hickory chips to my last cook and I think it added some extra flavor but they burn up surprisingly fast so timing seems to matter.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score

Picked up a Weber and have been experimenting with techniques. So far my steaks are coming out with the nice smoky flavor that was missing from years of propane grilling. I added some wet hickory chips to my last cook and I think it added some extra flavor but they burn up surprisingly fast so timing seems to matter.
I’ve always liked having both, propane is great for just cooking something real quick, like grilling up some chicken during the week. Propane Grilling the chicken for my chicken Alfredo is so much better than pan fried or baked, and the smoke flavor isn’t always desired with my Alfredo. Charcoal is for slow bbqing, weekends, and steaks. I’ve found that I don’t use as much “smoking wood” with my charcoal, it just don’t let it burn as hot, and add a little bit of the chips.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
disgusted king of the hill GIF

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. I utilize a pellet grill/smoker, a Smokey Joe charcoal grill, and Masterbuilt propane smoker. Quick and easy it’s the pellet grill. Smokey Joe/charcoal for delicious steaks and burgers. The Masterbuilt has better Smokey flavor than the pellet grill for ribs and brisket but requires more babysitting than the pellet grill/smoker.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Wise move.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wood for me. Propane just does not do it for me not hot enough or just not smart with all the free hardwood I end up with.
And yea there is the unmistakable wood flavoring.

I cooked chicken leg quarters over oak and did not season them at all because it never seems to take on the seasoning.
Wife and friends asked me what i flavored the chicken with as it was so good.
Nothing but Oak smoke.
Not too much as it will ruin meat with too much smoke.

Latest posts

Top Bottom