Proposed Baiting Regulation Changes for ODWC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously people, this is what baiting has done to hunting. You all act like it is the end of the world because you can't bait in some places. For some reason, the masses believe that it is impossible to kill a deer without sitting over bait or a food plot. They killed deer long before people lived over bait piles and it is completely possible to do it today in a time that there are more deer running around the state than ever.

Come on, you just get done chastising someone for making generalized assumptions about you then you turn around and do it to everyone else? You are dead wrong on this anyway, hunters have been baiting since long before our time, or our great grandparent's time for that matter. Historically, hunters were, and are, creatures of opportunity. Did they use other methods to hunt as well? Absolutely, so do the majority of us today, BUT they also baited if that was what needed to be done to harvest their desired game.

...For what it is worth, all the the ODWC employees that I have discussed this with say that there is no drive what-so-ever to ban baiting on private land at all. It was not in the discussions that were had about this topic and shouldn't be a concern for private land owners.

I may sound paranoid but, let's face it, it is a government agency. No there aren't any plans right now to ban baiting on private land but if they are so concerned about the spread of disease why wouldn't they? It makes no sense that they wouldn't be concerned about deer catching diseases on private land and spreading it to public land. At some point they will make the push to expand the regulation to include all land...IMHO

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Okie, How reliable do you think the Lucky Buck site is??? I only ask because it was last updated on 1-9-12 and it already has Ok as a no baiting on public ground?? Very interesting to see the baiting laws as a whole.

I questioned as well, but since they gave the contact numbers I felt a little better about posting, people can check it out for themselves if they don't believe the site, as they should with any regulations. I see that there are a few states left off. How do I(we) know that the CWD site is reliable?

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okie, How reliable do you think the Lucky Buck site is??? I only ask because it was last updated on 1-9-12 and it already has Ok as a no baiting on public ground?? Very interesting to see the baiting laws as a whole.

Your assumption is incorrect fishfurlife. It does not already have OK as no baiting on public ground. What is says is "Legal to feed deer or bait deer anywhere in the state anytime on private land." That would apply both before and after this new law, so I would consider this accurate. Just because they don't mention public land does not make the website inaccurate. Everything it said about Oklahoma is correct.

Being ahead of the curve is one thing... but I don't see a curve in this discussion. I see a plausible chance that something could be passed from deer to deer from a feeder. But there has been no evidence to prove this is occurring, that it has occurred, or that if it did occur it would be detrimental to our deer population.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that southern Wisconsin seems to be riddled with CWD and it appears that baiting is not permitted, but in the northern half, baiting is permitted.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your assumption is incorrect fishfurlife. It does not already have OK as no baiting on public ground. What is says is "Legal to feed deer or bait deer anywhere in the state anytime on private land." That would apply both before and after this new law, so I would consider this accurate. Just because they don't mention public land does not make the website inaccurate. Everything it said about Oklahoma is correct.

I only asked the question. Didn't really have any drive behind the question. It is worded in a confusing manner IMO. My guess is that it would be 50/50 on people that read the information concerning Oklahoma. I took this to mean that there may be stipulations on Public land concerning baiting since it was directly pointed out that it is okay on private ground.

Sesh - I do not feel i am dead wrong on the baiting historically. There is no question that bait is used far more frequently than it was in years past. I am sorry if you took this to mean that there was literally no baiting before corn piles.

Again, I am very logical with this and am not going to go out on a limb to make an assumption about somebody's statement just for the sake of telling them they are dead wrong.

I understand that I am in the minority on this website with my support of the new baiting law, but it does not make me any less of a sportsman or person. It is part of the glory of living where we all live. I, as well as all of you, have the freedom to express my thoughts and views. I don't understand why all the sudden, I am a bad guy because of my support on a baiting law. It looks like Ok was in the minority of states that allowed full bore baiting. If the above website is accurate, then I was really surprised to see the majority of the Southeastern US to not allow baiting in one form or fashion. It also looks like some of the top trophy producing states don't allow baiting either.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
This was a good one, lol.
Louisiana Legal to feed and bait deer on private land with anything, anywhere with the exception of SWEET POTATOES. Lucky Buck Mineral is okay all year long.

Sweet taters must be the real deal!

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't personally bait, as I hunt public land and prefer not to tip people off to where I hunt. I've seen other's bait piles when hunting, but never hunted near them. I figure, to each their own.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sesh - I do not feel i am dead wrong on the baiting historically. There is no question that bait is used far more frequently than it was in years past. I am sorry if you took this to mean that there was literally no baiting before corn piles.

Again, I am very logical with this and am not going to go out on a limb to make an assumption about somebody's statement just for the sake of telling them they are dead wrong.

Since you aren't making assumptions, I'd like to see the historical, logical data you speak of. I'd be interested in seeing how they did that study, or are you just assuming that we bait more today than they did in the past. No wait, you don't make assumptions.
This isn't even worth fighting over. fishfurlife, I'm sorry for making assumptions about your assumptions about my assumptions about your assumptions. Therefore, I retract dead wrong and say you are categorically wrong, that okay?
Nobody is trying to attack you personally, I assume:), I'm just saying it doesn't make sense that they would regulate public land to try and prevent the spread of disease on a wild species that roams pretty much wherever it wants on this earth. How are they going to confine the non-diseased deer to public land so they can't go to private land and get the corn disease? It's either high fence around public land, which still won't stop the spread, or banning baiting on all land.

Latest posts

Top Bottom