Proposed Regulation Changes for ODWC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the tag idea, I made that mistake one time before getting my lifetime and it was really bad with a hunting license and duck season. Never failed, I would be headed out and realize I need a new license or hunt all week and never realize it. Dont really matter to me know but I agree the tag should be for the season. They changed the license for that reason, now we have one that does that.
But look at it this way, if u buy a tag in January and don't fill it. It's still good for the beginning of next season.

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We could definately stand some regs for improving deer quality. Too many young bucks are getting shot because they have some antler growth. Meat hunters might not like it, but there's plenty of opportunity to kill a doe in Oklahoma.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
get rid of rifle and go shot gun only........... (where is the "stir the pot" avatar??......LOL).

it would be nice to see some regs and get Oklahoma bucks into the ranks of the Iowa, kansas, texas sizes. i know there are some decent ones taken in OK. but not as often as what i think??....this is just my personal theory, i don't mind what we have now, just my .02 was on the bow tags.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We could definately stand some regs for improving deer quality. Too many young bucks are getting shot because they have some antler growth. Meat hunters might not like it, but there's plenty of opportunity to kill a doe in Oklahoma.
I totally agree. I brought this up to the wildlife department over ten years ago and their response was "a 1.5 year old buck can have 8 points so that won't help". As long as the doe tags cost the same as a buck tag most hunters will buy the buck tag and shoot whatever comes by. There needs to be some incentive for people to want to shoot the does.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, doe tags being less might help.

As for "a 1.5 yo can have 8pt so an AR won't help"... Ya it's possible but not usually the case. We have way more 1.5 yo bucks with less than 8 points so it would protect the majority. Ask any other state that has emplimented an AR or some other type of restrictions on bucks how it effected the quality. Most all will tell you they've seen huge improvements and like them now, even the ones that opposed them at first.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, and the deer with crappy racks like the one reported above get to hang out and breed their whole lives polluting the population with their crappy rack genes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahomabassin said:
Allout I shot a buck this year that is 7.5 years old and less than 8 points. Antler restrictions by points just aren't feasible.

The heaviest deer I ever shot was 238lbs.
It had a 7 point rack that an 18 month old buck would be embarrassed to be seen with.
Some states require a hunter to take a doe before a buck tag can be bought.

Latest posts

Top Bottom