Prosperity Gospel/Seed Faith

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never heard anything bad regarding Billy Joe Daughtery. I think after he died, some things got lax, or seemed to, given the way that rape case was reported in the news. However, everyone I know, who actually knew Billy Joe, says he was a committed, caring man.

I never meant to refer anything negative about Billy Joe, he just was named in my post reporting that my brothers inlaws were major financial contributers to their mega church and school. She had a great experience as their aid on the over seas mission trips she went on. The troubles there were a year or so after Billy had passed away. 2 young men employed at Victory had had sex with young girls and it was under reported, covered up, something.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it is worth noting that Jesus had absolutely no material possessions during his ministry. He was buried in a donated tomb. He repeatedly admonished those fixated on material comforts, saying that pursuit of those things diminishes faith. Prosperity gospel stuff is just foolish, because the Bible is full of anguished role models. God's chosen people were slaves for thousands of years. I see nowhere that God promises me weath if only I am a 'good-enough' Christian.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never meant to refer anything negative about Billy Joe, he just was named in my post reporting that my brothers inlaws were major financial contributers to their mega church and school. She had a great experience as their aid on the over seas mission trips she went on. The troubles there were a year or so after Billy had passed away. 2 young men employed at Victory had had sex with young girls and it was under reported, covered up, something.

And the folks who did that should be in jail, and the church should pay those kids for what happened to them.

FYI, I did NOT interpret your first post as anything bad about Billy Joe.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember when Tiltons church and ministry was based in Texas but had a Tulsa outfit open his mail. 20-20 or one of the investigative programs found piles of opened letters from people in trash bins. They apparently were just an open the envelope and grab the check/cash out kind of operation for Tiltons church. When confronted about why he did not lay his hands on the envelopes and pray for his 'prayer partners' like he promised he would on his TV ministry and just opened them and took out the moneys his explanation was that his Dr had to stop him because the ink was seeping into his skin and damaging his health. His little booklets he sent for 'free' but if you wanted you could 'gift' the ministry in $5, 10, 50, 1000, etc, increments and he would say prayers for you according to your gifts limits. I always wondered what $1000 got you that $5 didnt cover.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I said, I know a couple of guys personally, and, literally, I have more respect for a guy who walks into a bank and robs it with a gun.

Robbing people in the name of Jesus is bad enough. Doing so while an entitled, selfish prick is even worse.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As for me, I'll never be good enough, give enough or work hard enough for Christ. Don't have to, salvation is free, doesn't cost a thing and is already paid in my behalf.
Meanwhile, didya ever notice the rich and powerful folks don't need God? The folks scraping by are closest to Him.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a kid I would stay with my grandmother a lot when in Oklahoma visiting and I remember she would have me sit and watch Billy Grahams crusade shows with her when they came on. I dont remember him focusing as much on success and money as most of the other TV preachers. I remember reading once that he lived a fairly simple life in North Carolina for such a famous evangelist.

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I said, I know a couple of guys personally, and, literally, I have more respect for a guy who walks into a bank and robs it with a gun.

Robbing people in the name of Jesus is bad enough. Doing so while an entitled, selfish prick is even worse.

I'm curious on which ones specifically. I believe what we're seeing on a broad evangelical scale is, to borrow from Glen Beck, is "the infusion of entertainment and enlightenment". At one point, I was "all in". Eventually, I got a peek up the skirt and was a bit disappointed. I think most of their antics would make Jesus puke.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of folks in the prosperity gospel movement glom on to Jeremiah 29:11, from the NIV.
First of all, if you look at the original text, where the NIV says prosper, the original text uses the word shalom. You may recognize this as a Hebrew greeting, it means peace. Also, where the NIV says "hope and a future." the original text uses the words "tiqvah achariyth" tiqvah litterally means a cord but is often used to mean "what is expected", and achariyth means end. He's not promising some abundance here, he's just promising peace and a normal life.

Secondly, I believe some things in scripture are specifically said to one person. I believe this passage of Jeremiah is one of those instances.

Latest posts

Top Bottom