Public Land Boundary's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just confirmed some really good news this afternoon but now i'm a little confused also. My private hunting spot butts right up to public land. From the looks of it, most of it is only accessible by boat. I'm guessing that i'm not going to have a whole lot of company for the most part. What i'm a little confused over is the boundary. On the ODWC maps, it shows a N/NW boundary line going across the middle of the properties. The property it adjoins to has no hunting signs on it so I don't want to ruffle any feathers. So my question is......Should there be any physical markers that show where the properties meet? I have walked back there a few times (thinking it was my area) but never saw any fences or anything. Any suggestions on what to look for? My only idea would be to buy the ODWC atlas but I don't even know if that would tell me anything.

Swine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We kind of have the same issue on our lease but the online map well defines the boundry line. We have found only 2 old fence posts and some small sections of barbed wire under the layers of composing leaves and dead trees. Feel sure any fence building would be our responsibility. We've caught trespassers on horseback going from the WMA onto our lease but thats about it. It would be a long hike on foot otherwise. Plan on putting up some signs more for a notice. I've come to the realization that most people that cross over know about it and know that no law enforcement will ever show up.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More trespass talk... Seems to be my favorite topic this week lol
Good luck with your spot, an I hope it works great for you. But I have had that same issue, both sides of it. We had a lease that was on the river which means Corps land buts up to it. Eventhough you can't use rifles on the Corps land people would always boat in and sit on the dike over looking our property. The land I own is right down the river from that same lease but I have yet to see anyone on the Corps so far. But i also don't have a lot crops like that lease did.
I also ran into a situation on Gibson where public met private. I was young (high school) and there was no fence separating the two. I wasnt to far over the line but it was rifle and the owner was out patrolling and not so kindly warned me where the line was. He also told me it happens all the time and he spends most his season hunting for people on the wrong side of the line. I asked why he doesn't put a fence up but he really didn't seem to like the question or felt he should have to. As far as I'm concerned, if your property buts up to public land and you don't want people crossing the imaginary line then you should fence it off. Or at least put up signs on every freaking tree on the line. If you don't the. You have no right to ***** about someone being 20 yards on your side.

Latest posts

Top Bottom