Putting a light on HD pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Need some opinions on mounting a light to my G17, this is my nightstand gun. Tried one out and was not obtrustive at all, felt balanced and finger controls were easy to manipulate. 100.00 +. Good idea or not?

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
a light is a good thing to have cause if you're just shooting in the dark you could be shooting at family.

you need to be able to identify who you're pointing the gun at and if you get a bright enough flashlight like most of the weapon mounted lights by surefire or streamlight, they could be used to temporarily blind the person on the receiving end and give you time to make your desicion to engage or back off.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If its for HD, don't buy junk - the last thing you want is to go cheap on something that you plan on depending on while you defend your life.

Look at Surefire, Streamlight, or Insight Technology.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear the "BG" will shot at the light argument all of the time. Thing is if the BG is in a dark house then their eyes has dialated to allow them to see in the low light conditions, as soon as you point the light at them then their pupils will constrict and they will have a momentary blindness while they wait for their eyes to adjust.

I think the light will give you the upper hand to be able to see who they are and determine if they are a threat or not.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Shotty, look hard at a surefire x300 with the under the trigger switch for the light.
The biggest problem I see with using a weaponlight is that it will distract you from the threat.
If you use one, keep it on the gun at all times, when you practice during the day, activate the light every time. That's what's so nice about the SF switch.

The basic idea is that you illuminate the threat, go to work on him, cut the light off, quickly move off the "x"; then relight and assess. Repeat if necessary.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shotty, look hard at a surefire x300 with the under the trigger switch for the light.
The biggest problem I see with using a weaponlight is that it will distract you from the threat.
If you use one, keep it on the gun at all times, when you practice during the day, activate the light every time. That's what's so nice about the SF switch.

The basic idea is that you illuminate the threat, go to work on him, cut the light off, quickly move off the "x"; then relight and assess. Repeat if necessary.

But if you turn on the light, and find you are pointing the gun at your wife/kid etc. Isn't this a bad thing?

Rule # 2

Never let the muzzle of a gun point at anything you do not want to destroy or kill.

That to me seems to be the biggest flaw with weapon mounted lights.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But if you turn on the light, and find you are pointing the gun at your wife/kid etc. Isn't this a bad thing?

Rule # 2

Never let the muzzle of a gun point at anything you do not want to destroy or kill.

That to me seems to be the biggest flaw with weapon mounted lights.

Beats the hell outta shoot first, ask questions later.

Yes, you should carry a handheld light if it's dark, but if I'm woken up in my undies it's hard to put one in a pocket. Handguns with lights on them are easier to manipulate and leave you with one free hand if you need it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom