Putting a light on HD pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But if you turn on the light, and find you are pointing the gun at your wife/kid etc. Isn't this a bad thing?

Rule # 2

Never let the muzzle of a gun point at anything you do not want to destroy or kill.

That to me seems to be the biggest flaw with weapon mounted lights.

why wouldn't you have the muzzle pointing down?

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
But if you turn on the light, and find you are pointing the gun at your wife/kid etc. Isn't this a bad thing?

Rule # 2

Never let the muzzle of a gun point at anything you do not want to destroy or kill.

That to me seems to be the biggest flaw with weapon mounted lights.

Coopers rules of Firearm safety are overlapping

Break rule #2?

#3 and #4 are there to take control.

3# Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule.
4# Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...and you don't automatically break rule #2 when you use a weapon mounted light...if u know what u are doing.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Also,Weapon lights and other lights have an area of illumination called "spill".
One needn't aim directly at a dark area in order to identify a threat or friendly.

That kills the argument of not wanting to point a gun directly at an unknown.

I used to be a proponent of separate lights; until I started doing serious training with them. The only place Ill run a streamlight is up against my Jaw, so it will turn when my head and eyes turn.

weapon lights also make nite sights not as necessary.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having a WML just makes more sense. You have better control over your weapon and you are likely to need your weak hand in a CQB situation in your house. Personally, I don't want anything in my weak hand. The notion that it gives someone a target really doesn't consider real world scenarios IMHO. Can anyone aquire a target in a quick manner with a surefire in your eyes? If so, teach me. Also, if you look a the Harries pics above, you see that the light is positioned pretty close to the handgun anyways. Couple all of this with a greater lack of control on your follow up shots and you have an outdated technique IMHO.

Comte DeLoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear the "BG" will shot at the light argument all of the time. Thing is if the BG is in a dark house then their eyes has dialated to allow them to see in the low light conditions, as soon as you point the light at them then their pupils will constrict and they will have a momentary blindness while they wait for their eyes to adjust.

I think the light will give you the upper hand to be able to see who they are and determine if they are a threat or not.

and if your asleep and wake up as soon as you turn on the light your night blind as well.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Be careful with that much horsepower on your shotty...I've heard of instances where 200+ lumens pointed at a white wall can reflect enough light to blind the shooter.

Lucky me my down stairs is painted flat buckskin and upstairs is flat steel blue. Kids rooms are all painted flat and darker colors of their liking. I was scared when I mounted it because of glass reflection.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was of the belief that I didnt want a weapon mounted light because of rule #2. But, thats only if your WML is your PRIMARY light. I also have a surefire on the nightstand with my G22, and Insight M3. Either is bright enough to light up a room from spill. But, I have a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old. If I am muzzle down, they could cross the muzzle. Pistol at the ready WML not in use, surefire in use, in the weakhand is my primary method.. But if I cant use the light in my weakhand IE I am carrying my 3 year old, I have the secondary WML available. Since I will be carrying my child, my wife and other childs whereabouts should be known, leaving only Tango's to be lit up by my WML.

Latest posts

Top Bottom