Putting a light on HD pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
But if you turn on the light, and find you are pointing the gun at your wife/kid etc. Isn't this a bad thing?

Rule # 2

Never let the muzzle of a gun point at anything you do not want to destroy or kill.

That to me seems to be the biggest flaw with weapon mounted lights.

if i'm scanning the house at night with a handheld flashlight and a pistol, the pistol is going to be pointing where the flashlight points.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I will be getting a mounted light soon. But for now I have a handheld that I keep by my gun at the bedside. I'm putting the priority on adding night sights to my gun before the mounted light.

Never thought much of mounted lights until I tried shooting something (coon in the trash) at night. Also made a huge case for night sights. Had to hold my flashlight far enough back to illuminate my sights. That was a pain.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
But if you turn on the light, and find you are pointing the gun at your wife/kid etc. Isn't this a bad thing?

Rule # 2

Never let the muzzle of a gun point at anything you do not want to destroy or kill.

Beats the hell outta shoot first, ask questions later.

My "house gun" is an AR-15 loaded with 40grain Hornady, and with a surefire mounted. If something goes bump in the night, you may have to bend some of the "rules for safety" in order to prepare for a lethal encounter. While carrying concealed, I keep a light in my pocket. I have seen some of the lights that can be used detached or attached, and that is probably the best way to go for concealed carry, however for HD use, you are usually going to be

1. not sure exactly what is going on.

2. not in the finest state of alertness

3. probably shooting near, or around people you love.

Given those factors, you want to be able to light up the area well, and be ready to engage at the same time. Get a light, and if you think it will just give the BG something to shoot at, try this; Stand in front of a mirror, in the dark. Let you eyes adjust to the darkness. Pull up your light, aiming at your own reflection, then turn it on. You will understand.

Also, people may think this is wacko, but with an unloaded weapon, practice "clearing" your house, in the dark, and with the lights on. Among other things you will figure out where the "trouble spots" are, and in my case, at what times I will be pointing my weapon in directions I don't want to fire it in.

I have 4 kids, and they are all at the opposite end of the house. There have been some scary instances that have had me stumbling around at night with my AR, without a light, they would have been terrifying.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Rule # 2

It's also about technique and training, not just the equipment. In this case the flaw is with the technique being used, not the equipment.

Most of the quality lights are bright enough to illuminate the room/target area at low ready...in other words the weapon won't be pointed at something you don't want to destroy until you identify it in the light and bring the weapon up...

And you aren't moving through the house with it in constant-on mode like a light saber. Moving, illuminating questionable areas, turning off, moving, illuminating again etc...

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Know some Glocks had a problem with lights causing frame failure. Don't know what model or if that has been fixed. I have a TLR-1 under my HD gun and just mounted a 220 lumen light to my HD shotty. Gotta have it.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Rule # 2

THIS.

I was on the fence for a long time about a light mounted on a pistol. If it is being used where you absolutely KNOW there are no "good guys" in the area (spouse, kids, friendlies) then I think the light ON the pistol is a good idea.

Of course, I also think that if bad guys went out and looked for a job instead of picking on decent folk, the world would be a better place.

Sadly, neither one of those scenarios are ever gonna happen. :rolleyes2

I say hand held light with the Harries technique. I learned it 20 years ago and it still works best for me.

[Broken External Image]

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if i'm scanning the house at night with a handheld flashlight and a pistol, the pistol is going to be pointing where the flashlight points.

I'm a dork. I have one of those headlamp things next to my bed. http://www.consumersearch.com/headlamps

So light is independent of where the gun can be pointed, and both hands are free. Also, the dorkage factor is much higher.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Know some Glocks had a problem with lights causing frame failure. Don't know what model or if that has been fixed. I have a TLR-1 under my HD gun and just mounted a 220 lumen light to my HD shotty. Gotta have it.

Be careful with that much horsepower on your shotty...I've heard of instances where 200+ lumens pointed at a white wall can reflect enough light to blind the shooter.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say hand held light with the Harries technique. I learned it 20 years ago and it still works best for me.

[Broken External Image]

I agree with GED.

A few thoughts:

Handheld light held as described above is a strong base for defense. Also, to me, I feel as though the stance helps my POA=POI. You are also in a better position to jab with the light should it become necessary.

However, there were times when clearing a house that I felt it was a better to hold the light away from my center of mass. Most people will shoot at the light, so either hold it in front of your vest, or away from you and others.

The downside of a handheld light for an officer is that you have both hands occupied... things like opening doors and stuff take some practice.

Stan

Latest posts

Top Bottom