PVC Hand Pump For Well

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When installing one or like something @John6185 in a Well with a Submersible Pump, be extremely cautious not to drop or have anything fall down in the well. Whatever fell could wedge beside the pump and getting fishing tools to “maybe” get it out is expensive and could possibly render the well useless once the pump wears out/quits on you.

And I have stated the following on here a few times.

Once a year to 16 months you should sterilize your well and water system with a gallon of bleach. It will keep Coliform Bacteria from building up in your well system. And anytime you pull your pump sterilize it after the work is done. Once you smell chlorine smell inside the home at a faucet, let water run in all water sources inside the home on the cold side. The Hot Water Side will take care of itself.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When installing one or like something @John6185 in a Well with a Submersible Pump, be extremely cautious not to drop or have anything fall down in the well. Whatever fell could wedge beside the pump and getting fishing tools to “maybe” get it out is expensive and could possibly render the well useless once the pump wears out/quits on you.

Once a year to 16 months you should sterilize your well and water system with a gallon of bleach. It will keep Coliform Bacteria from building up in your well system. And anytime you pull your pump sterilize it after the work is done. Once you smell chlorine smell inside the home at a faucet, let water run in all water sources inside the home on the cold side. The Hot Water Side will take care of itself.
2 things....funny but not... Had a new well being put in. Daughter had a cocker spaniel that was tennis ball obsessive. If you ignored the dog she would drop the ball in your way, in your bucket....whatever. Told the well installers if the dog shows up with a tennis ball....DO NOT PLAY, as she'll drop it down the white well casing thinking it's a bucket. Well/pump installed and they left. Turned the pump on to flush the well via an outdoor sprinkler after a short time.....the sprinkler shutdown.....clogged up,. Took it apart to discover tennis ball fibers clogging the screeen !!!

Using bleach in the well.......seems bleach kills goldfish in the outdoor koi pond

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2 things....funny but not... Had a new well being put in. Daughter had a cocker spaniel that was tennis ball obsessive. If you ignored the dog she would drop the ball in your way, in your bucket....whatever. Told the well installers if the dog shows up with a tennis ball....DO NOT PLAY, as she'll drop it down the white well casing thinking it's a bucket. Well/pump installed and they left. Turned the pump on to flush the well via an outdoor sprinkler after a short time.....the sprinkler shutdown.....clogged up,. Took it apart to discover tennis ball fibers clogging the screeen !!!

Using bleach in the well.......seems bleach kills goldfish in the outdoor koi pond

Don’t water the Koi till the smell has waned away from inside the home!! It is amazing what we have gotten out of wells that was dropped in.

JoeGloker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently installed a PVC hand pump in my well although I have city water and have the instructions to share should anyone want to create or make their own hand pump. One can make one probably for less than $80.00 using these instructions and watching youtube videos by adding to or deleting certain aspects of the pump. There are 24 pages and I'll post the first page. I'm not sure how many photos are allowed to be posted in one post. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll try and post the complete instructions.
I am interested

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hate to hear that. Now, I'm thinking some PVC with a cap, a bolt and some limber plastic or rubber with holes drilled into the cap to create a check valve could be a cheap alternative. Lighter and cheaper.
Problem solved.
I read somewhere that the person making the metal ones were made out of 4" duct pipe. I can't confirm. The pvc sounds better.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

In our case, a lot more than 1 gallon is required to sterilize. We run 3/10 of a mile of 1 1/2" pvc that contains hundreds of gallons of water with a 129' lift after leaving the well pit. I did the calculations that I don't have at hand so the gallons could be off, but the point is there is a lot of water between the house and the well.
Poured a couple of gallons of bleach into the well for almost a year every week and never got the well to test clear of contamination with test from the OWB living on bottled and borrowed water.
I did the calculations after our well got flooded and was underwater for over 2 weeks.
To get the 10% recommendation the state said would work, I would have to dump about 20 gallons of bleach into the system, run it to the house and let it set. We tried that. Did not work.
The problem was not contamination building in the piping system, but the entire water table was contaminated by the flood water seeping into it after two weeks underwater.
As earlier stated, our water table in sandy loam is 10' deep. Very easy for the flood water to contaminate.
We eventually had to install a UV-C water sanitation system for a couple grand to get clean drinking water.
I did have the installers put a raw water tap into it so that one day the water may clean itself and we won't need that system anymore. Initial installation was a tad expensive but only requires maintenance every two years to replace the bulb and clean the glass tube.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In our case, a lot more than 1 gallon is required to sterilize. We run 3/10 of a mile of 1 1/2" pvc that contains hundreds of gallons of water with a 129' lift after leaving the well pit. I did the calculations that I don't have at hand so the gallons could be off, but the point is there is a lot of water between the house and the well.
Poured a couple of gallons of bleach into the well for almost a year every week and never got the well to test clear of contamination with test from the OWB living on bottled and borrowed water.
I did the calculations after our well got flooded and was underwater for over 2 weeks.
To get the 10% recommendation the state said would work, I would have to dump about 20 gallons of bleach into the system, run it to the house and let it set. We tried that. Did not work.
The problem was not contamination building in the piping system, but the entire water table was contaminated by the flood water seeping into it after two weeks underwater.
As earlier stated, our water table in sandy loam is 10' deep. Very easy for the flood water to contaminate.
We eventually had to install a UV-C water sanitation system for a couple grand to get clean drinking water.
I did have the installers put a raw water tap into it so that one day the water may clean itself and we won't need that system anymore. Initial installation was a tad expensive but only requires maintenance every two years to replace the bulb and clean the glass tube.

Must not be any good water on deeper down. Sad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom